Frightened

I’m a new member. I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s August 2017. I’ve just about been coping well. But recently I had a water and chest infection which really affected me. For a very long time I’ve suffered with OCD problems. Again I’ve coped quite well with things, But for the past few weeks since I’ve been ill my OCD is worse. Keep having thoughts of vomiting with whatever I eat or wear and having Parkinson’s as made myself worse.I keep thinking of suicidal thoughts as had enough of mental and physical illnesses for many decades. Thank you for reading this5

Hi Phillip,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your story. Please remember that you are not alone throughout any of this. Whether you are looking for advice, or you just fancy a chat our helpline is also there for you on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,

Tom

Thank you Tom

Hi Philip. So sorry to read your post and felt I had to reply. It sounds like you are quite low. Do try and find out if there is a Parkinsons nurse in your area. Mine has been such a help and is very encouraging. She/he could also advise on how to deal with your low mood. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and I decided then that I would not let Parkinson’s be my identity. There is much more to me than this condition. Please try to stay positive and be thankful for each day. ( easier said than done, I know!)

Hi Phillip I have no idea what age you are or how long you have been suffering from mental health problems I’m no trick cyclist so I will not even try to offer you advice.
But what I can say is THANK YOU for opening this thread there are some people who will think you are selfish for airing your thoughts and they are entitled to their opinion but I am most certainly not in that camp.
You have obviously had a great deal to live with and now PD.
In fact you could say if it wasn’t for bad luck you would not have any.
Only yesterday we had the mental health team to visit my brother who has had a stroke and is paralyzed on one side and incontinent he is quite adamant he wants to go and I can’t honestly say that I wouldn’t be the same
But however the mental health team were absolutely brilliant they said they can’t fix his problems but can try and get him the proper medication and also photographic equipment to fit to his wheelchair so that he can at least go out with carers and still carry on with his hobby when they left he seemed to have a little more hope than usual
As I said I don’t have any answers for you but you must have several sources of help to access given your experience and knowledge to help others in your situation please don’t waste it.
Once again thank you for opening this much required thread and I wish you peace… TOMMY

Thank you for your reply. I’ve been in contact with my own doctor. Am awaiting a counsellor appointment. Also am seeing a Parkinson’s nurse I two weeks.

Thank you. Think had two many thoughts in my head all at the same time, I’m due to see a Parkinson’s nurse in a couple of weeks. Will try to be positive and fight.

Keep your chin up. I hope you get some help and support both from your doctor and the Parkinson’s nurse. I would be interested to know how you get on. This is a very frightening time. My advice is just to take a day at a time and find something positive in each day, no matter how small.

1 Like

Thanks, will let you know haw I get on. Have some meetings in some two weeks. Am trying to take one day at a time and trying not to worry about the future.

Hi Philip,
Just wondering how you are and if you are an6 further forward with visit to see Pa4kinson’s Nurse?

Hi. Sorry not been online for a while. But I’ve had major problems with anxiety and OCD problems. I have improved over the past few months but still a way to go. I have seen Parkinson’s nurse and now also under local mental health nurses. Mostly enjoying life but do get the odd days but get the mind occupied to stop thinking about any bad thoughts.

As for the Parkinson’s a little worse bu not much and cope ok. Mostly it is around gripping things but getting along

Hope all ok with you and WISH YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

1 Like

Hi Phillip,
It was good to hear from you. Sorry things have been difficult for you. However, it seems like you are developing some coping strategies. Well done! Glad to hear you have found a Parkinson’s Nurse. I hope you get good support there. We all have days that are not good. Unfortunately that goes with the condition. My philosophy is to thank God for every day - good and bad, and always to find something to be thankfull for!. Try and keep a positive attitude. I had a recent visit to the Parkinson’s Nurse. Pretty good report. Just a tweak to the medication. See her again in 3 mnths. All the best to you and yours. Have a Happy Christmas season.