Galantamine (or Rivastigmine or Donepezil ) to help walking / balance?

Has anybody been prescribed Galantamine ?

I am just starting this as my neuro hopes it will help my walking/gait initiation problems. The theory is that it enhances acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter for movement.

It is similar to Rivastigmine (Exelon) and Donepezil (Aricept) both frequently prescribed to help memory problems in Alzheimers.

There has been an encouraging trial by Bristol Uni called the ReSPonD Study that found Rivastigmine reduced falls and helped balance.  I tried Rivastigmine pills last year but found the side effects ( nausea, nightmares ) too bad to increase the dose to an effective level and had severe skin reactions when I tried it in patch form. Now I'm hoping Galantamine may be more tolerable and work !

Any feedback would be useful.

Many thanks

S

Hi Supa

I take Donepezil but mine is for my Lewy body dementia , though I have noticed some improvements in walking and balance my indoor spatial awareness is much better so I tend not to bump into things as much as I did.  I don't think Iv had any real side effects with it my dose is 5mg at night at bedtime and I don't have as many nightmares as I did, 

Well good luck with the new med  Live well.  Cc

Hi Cc

Thanks for that info, very useful.

Donepezil will be my next med if.Galamantine no good! 

Living in hope, as always.

S

Hi all, my mother has been in a nursing home for the past 15 months. She was diagnosed with parkinsons/ lewy bodies about two and a half years ago. In the past she has proved to be fairly intolerant to any increase in madopar or rivastigmine (total contra indications). I requested a slight increase of madopar (a.m. dose) as, obviously, the disease is progressing. Instead, she has been given Galantamine, which i believe to be an Alzheimers drug. Initial dose of 8mg daily worked wonders and she had only 3 off days out of 21. A huge improvement. However, 3 weeks ago, the dose was doubled and will be doubled again on rhursday. The point that i am try to make, eventually, is if the starting dose works well (which has been agreed between myself and mums carers/nurses ) why try to increase it before it becomes necessary? I understand the protocol but why make our loved ones suffer more than they have to? Quick summary ----- small dose good, only increase as required. Regards, Sammyboy

hi sammyboy, 

I agree with you. You would have thought they would keep the medication to a minimum and not automatically increase or add anything, unless the current dose was ineffective..Everywhere on the internet you come across criticism of over prescribing for the elderly. In the case of PD it is even more important, as the drugs do not cure, but are supposed to alleviate the sympoms of the disease with as little harm to the patient..The whole point of gradually introducing or increasing drugs is to see how effective this is in an individual patient so you give them optimal relief without over shooting into a potential minefield of side effects..(to put it crudely)..