Gallbladder and Parkinsons

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone else has had their gallbladder out while suffering with Parkinsons. My wife whos had Parkinsons for 20 years has just come out of hospital after 9 days with an infected gallbladder and has been told it needs to be removed but they’re worried if she would cope with being knocked out and then the actual operation.

So any advice would be most helpful.

Hi @Bez,

We certainly do have forum members who have gone through this exact experience. Hopefully they will be along shortly to share their insights with you.

You can always reach out to one of our advisers on 0808 800 0303 with any questions or concerns you may have about this. I know, it’s not quite the same as first hand experience, but they are quite knowledgeable in these matters and are there to support you.

Best wishes,
Joy
Forum Moderation Team

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply but it looks as though no one is willing to tell their experience which is a shame as my wife is still waiting for the op and still getting more and more anxious.

Hi Bez,
I have no personal experience of this so I’m not sure why I’m butting in really other than wanting you to know that people have read your post.

I guess it’s a really tricky one to answer because of all the variables involved. As you will both know only too well, those of us living with Parkinson’s are all at a different stage with different general health considerations and our own areas of particular concern at any given point in time. I imagine that my tremor would be problematic in a hospital situation whereas a friend of mine has virtually no tremor at all but suffers much more than me from stiffness and rigidity as well as having some blood pressure issues, which I don’t have at the moment.

I’m just wondering if anybody at the hospital talked to you both about your wife’s situation in detail and outlined: which gallbladder procedures will be available to your wife, what aspects of her Parkinson’s are causing concern and what they propose to do to manage these concerns. It sounds like you need some advice from healthcare professionals about your wife’s individual situation. I know that this can be incredibly difficult to get at the moment but being left in what seems to be a total information void seems to me to be completely unacceptable and I suspect that not having the gallbladder removed is not an option.

Have you read the help sheet on hospitalisation and Parkinson’s on this website? It has some quite useful general hints and tips though obviously doesn’t replace and need for individualised advice and information.

Would you be able to speak to your GP about this? I cannot get to see my GP for love nor money but I do know people in some areas who are managing to get appointments.

I hope you get proper information and support soon.
Jx