Getting impatient

Hello all
I was diagnosed with PD two years ago and would appreciate some advice. My problem is that I am incredibly stiff all over despite complying with the treatment schedule. I am currently taking Madopar 4 times daily but in all honesty I don’t think it is doing me much good. I thought the medication was to treat the symptoms! I am also having lots of trouble sleeping because my left foot becomes very heavy and numb. Would it be wise to seek a change of medication or maybe add something to my present treatment? I am becoming desperate.

Hello boomerang83
My personal view is that is always worth getting your meds reviewed whenever you have a concern whatever that might be. For most of us, management of our symptoms by medication is key to how we function so it is important that your medication suits you and sometimes all it takes is a bit of tweaking eg a change in dose or timings for example. Maybe a different brand would be more effective. In any event it may be worth letting your medical team know of your poor sleep pattern etc because that may have a bearing on what is prescribed. It is also worth mentioning that you are becoming desperate because that can have a damaging influence on your general health and is every bit as important as any physical or motor difficulties you are experiencing.
Good luck.
Tot

Thank you for your helpful advice. Much appreciated.

I agree with tot , phone or better still e mail your team and say you wish for a review .
Mine seem to be more accessible by e mail
Esme

Like Boomerang I was diagnosed fairly recently, and have been prescribed madopar and entacapone, and I don’t think that they have made a difference at all. So,…. Should I feel that I need to take my medicine when it’s due, and should I feel the benefit straight away

1 Like

Esme good to have you back. Hope you’re ok
Tot

The medication type, doses, and timings are all very key to how your own symptoms are controlled. Like others have said, it would be advisable to go back to your parkinsons Nurse and explain how you are feeling at the moment, they should be able to review your medications and give advice on relieving your particular symptoms. I’d also read, or order the hard copies of the helpful leaflets from parkinsons UK. They give a lot of good tips and pointers to places you may get more help. It’s a lot to get your head around managing this condition, seek out all the help and support you can

Hi Spurs61,
We wanted to take a moment to welcome you to our community forum. As you’ve already seen, we have loads of lovely and helpful people here with a wealth of experience to share. We’d also like you to be aware of the resources we provide here, namely our website and helpline. The website can answer many of your general questions about medication (including Madopar and Entacapone) and there is a handy search bar which will lead you to not just informational sections but archived forum discussions on the topic as well. Here is a helpful section on Levodopa: Levodopa (co-beneldopa and co-careldopa) | Parkinson's UK. Our helpline is staffed with friendly advisers with access to a range of resources, including local options, and you can reach them on 0808 800 0303. We always recommend reporting any medication issues or changes or questions to your medical team, regularly and without delay, but we wanted to be sure you were aware of the resources available to you here, as well.
With our warmest welcome,
Jason
Forum Moderator