Going back to work

I've been off work for 6 months during which I was finally diagnosed in August with Young On-set PD. I am keen to get back to work and am in the process through Occupational Health of doing so. Once I eventually start back can anyone advise me with how to deal with the "elephant in the room" scenarios? Colleagues at work either not knowing what to say or treating me differently. Hopefully I have many years of work ahead of me yet as I am only 38. Unless I win the lottery!
dont stop the lottery

in my experience:
let everyone know but dont overdo it = act as normal as poss
if its too much go for part time
recognise tiredness - fuzzy thinking, difficulty speaking, falling asleep
arrange somewhere to rest
cut down on commuting
keep sme choccie ready for emergencies
time meds for big events - meetings, interviews etc
get plenty of sleep (easy to say)
dont waste energy on trivia

cheers
Hi kf73,

Re "the elephant in the room". I'm 49 and still able to work daily, diagnostic ball started rolling 4 years ago. I understand where you're at. I took the approach of being open to all at work about having PD. I preffered that to leaving it open to colleagues guesswork and the rumour mill.

Regards Tractorman.
Hi everyone,

I agree with the previous comments as my husband waited and people thought he was being miserable because he didn't have good facial movements until on higher dose drugs. People are more enlightened these days and I would also take note of turnip's suggestions as it helps you manage your work days better.
best wishes
vivian
Thanks for the advice everyone. I suppose the best thing to do is be open about having PD. They're mostly colleagues that I've worked with for many years. I'm still the same person I've always been inside.:rolling_eyes:
Good luck kf. I've found my colleagues have been brilliant. Hope yours are too.
I too tried going back to work. A lot of people were either smiley with a tinge of pity, or head down, look but don't catch his eye. Its when you find out that able bodied people are more prone to scociological and psychological mental health problems,

Work will be easier because people wont ask anything of you. So sit back and mock their ignorance and think "There but for the grace of God go I"

And dont expect an invite to the xmas night out, the organiser will assume you wont want to go.

(Bitter and twisted from Glasgow)
Eck

This all seems pretty bleak (cos it was), but that was my perspective.

Helpful books included 'How to Deal with People You Can't Stand','Dummies Guide to covering your ass','[expletive]s, the worlds full of them','its not me its you'
As both colleagues & customers found out I'd got PD they'd quite often say "I'm sorry" etc, so I told them with a smile on my face that there's no need to say sorry unless of course they knew the cure but weren't sharing it! Awkwardness about the situation gone in a flash!

Regards Tractorman.
Hi Kf, like yourself I am trying to get back to work after 6 months off sick. I am 43yrs old and diagnosed last Oct. I am at the process of being refered to occ/health through my work.I am terrified of the thought of going back as I don't know how i am going to cope with the fear of being exhausted and needing to sleep during my shift. I guess i won't know how things are going to go until I try it. I wish you well my friend and please keep us posted on how you manage.

Cheers
Al (Glasgow)