“Going off legs” after hospital stay

My husband went into hospital with a query chest infection at the end is September. Before going in he was mobile for a good port of the day and was able to go upstairs at times. He is still in hospital unable to be mobilised. There seems to be a lack of will to get him mobilised. It has been a battle for the hast 4 months to get him some physio and for him not to be written off I wonder if anyone else has had this experience and am I kidding myself that he can ever get back to anything near his old self

Hi Dido,

Very sorry to hear your husband is struggling to get the care he needs. You might like to try reaching out to our Helpline, as they’re able to provide professional advice on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients and their families. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Hello I too went off my legs in hospital. Admitted for 2-3 days due to dehydration and exhaustion after an 'ordinary ’ sickness bug, my meds got badly mmessed up to the point I could hardly move at all. I was however more fortunate than your husband as I spent 3 weeks in a rehab facility where they got me back on my feet although took a few more months at home to recover fully. I suspect but don’t know for sure that the rehab place was offered as I live alone and more cost effective than remaining in hospital. I do sometimes wonder what would have happened to me if I had remained on that ward longer than the two weeks I did. It was a sobering and awful experience I really do hope your husband gets the help he needs. Ì wish I could do more

Hi Dido,

I’m sorry your Dad is experiencing this. My dad has PD also. He’s 86 and was diagnosed 10 years ago. His PD advanced rapidly, he’s beginning the last stage now.

Like yours, my Dad experiences “going off legs” ever time he undergo’s a procedure that requires sedation of any kind. He couldn’t walk for a few days after an angiogram, a week after a TAVr (aortic valve replacement) and just 3 weeks ago he had lumbar spinal injections to try and alleviate severe lower back pain. 10 days ago he said his upper right leg (hip to knee/front and side) felt numb but was also painful. My mom took him to the ER. They imaged his brain, heart, back and abdomen and did a battery of blood and urine work. All normal but he hasn’t walked since. We’ve since been to all of his docs (Cardiologist/Spine/Neuro/GP) and no one has any explanation for us.

I pray your Dad recovers quickly. If you find anything that helps him get his legs back and/or a way to avoid the going off I would be so grateful to hear about it.

Sending you love and strength to care for your Dad,
Annie