Golfers with PD

Hi All,

I am new to the Forum, but I was wondering if there is a golf society within the Parkinsons group and if so what is it all about. I am a keen golfer and a member of of a great club but it would be good to connect with other people with PD and get some ideas on how to cope with playing golf with PD.

I would welcome any feedback from others in the Forum

My husband was always a keen golfer and still plays using a buggy.

Bit of a nuisance when the weather is or has been wet as the buggies can't go out.

Sorry I can't be more use but I was born without the sport gene!

Good Golfing!

GG

I have just searched the forum for the subject of Golf with PD and unfortunately there seems to be no activity on the subject for quite a while. I was diagnosed just over 2 years ago and will try to continue with my golf for as long as i can .

Ideally i would love to reopen debate with other golfers , share there stories , support each other and who knows ,subject to geography etc maybe meet up for a game .

I am not completely forum savvy , so i may have posted this up in the wrong place but if anybody reads this and can suggest putting it somewhere more suitable or even open a golfers group page so we can all read and contribute in a dedicated area of the forum

hi there - i don’t know if i am using the forum correctly but here goes. My name is Ken and this year i will be 65. i have had PD for a decade or so and have payed golf for about 50 of these years. i have been a member of my local club for all of this time. my local club is Auchterarder about 2 miles from Gleneagles. I have played at county level and spent most of my life playing off 2, I now play off 16. now that may be down to PD or it may be down to my age. However i live in the hope that one day it will all flood back and i will once again be making winning speeches. Enough of me - how do you cope? All i can say is that i have found mates who play off all sorts of handicap and when we play for a £1.00 we mean it - your past abilities mean nothing. All i can say is keep it semi serious and keep your spirits up. If you want to meet up there are a number of ways of doing this. Skype might be a good start. we are all in it together so we might as well get to know each other. your life has changed but try a spell on the putting green and ii will give you a match for a £1.00 any time

Ken

Hi I have P/D for 13 years and play golf 3 times a week my handicap is 17.3 and also my putting I cant walkso far now so I got myself a little golf buggie I play in Essex and love it never give it up

We should have a golf catch-up

Can we have a Parkinson’s golf Forum Please
Colin R

Has anybody made any progress with the golf forum ? it would be good to share tips/experiences etc. I personally am coming up 3 years diagnosed and my golf is definitely suffering but hell will freeze over before i give it up. It would be great to meet up for a round with fellow sufferers , geography permitting obviously. Would love to get this going if anybody agrees ??

Has anyone come across ‘Golf In Society’?https://golfinsociety.com/about/
I haven’t had any involvement with them but might be worthwhile having a look at what they offer. They appear to support people with Parkinson’s specifically

Does Parkinsons Disease adversely affect golf? My swing has deteriorated as the Parkinsons symptoms emerged. I have early disease and take no treatment. It might just be that I have become incompetent.

Hi golfers.
I read an article saying golf is good for Parkinson’s so rejoined my local course last year and am thoroughly enjoying it. I actually won the mixed Stableford 9holes on 2nd January! I say do what you enjoy and golf combines fresh air and exercise.
My club is Bridge of Allan in Scotland…not far from Auchterarder.
However I have to say after playing in Portugal last year it is lovely playing in the sunshine rather than the drizzle!

Hi Ken
My name is Karen and I play at Bridge of Allan. I was diagnosed in 2017. How is your golf? And Parkinson’s?
Regards Karen

Hi,

I was diagnosed last year. My golf suffered badly and helped me get the diagnosis. I then took 3-4 months off to get used to the medication. Initially after some time I was back to normal…82-85 and feeling ok but recently have struggled to hit a ball!

I have tinkered with dosages and timings of medication and am getting incredibly frustrated. I am a English dude living in Singapore.

Feel free to keep in touch and pass on any tips to improve my current shocking golf