Good news

Hello all
Just wanted to share some good news.
We started our PD Roller Coaster ride in February when my Hubby was diagnosed. He had numerous symptoms and was looking quite frail at the age of 52.
He also has an issue with his knee which has had a huge impact on his mobility but we were told that this is not caused by the PD.
Anyway, since February we’ve had a tremendous amount of support from the Neurology team, local Physiotherapist, this group and an amazing Personal Trainer I found for him.
Hubby’s upper body strength is much improved and after what I saw yesterday at the gym I am ABSOLUTELY certain that there is now a way forward to get his mobility back to normal. It feels like we’ve had a big breakthrough and I will discuss this more over the next few weeks.
It’s amazing how much can change for the better in 6 months with the right support.
HUGE thanks to all who have helped us on this journey so far.
My advice to anyone newly diagnosed (or their family) is that there are definitely things that you can do to improve your quality of life but it takes effort to research, gather a good support network and then put in lots of hard work.
I have accepted that I can’t get rid of this condition for my Hubby but I certainly can make sure that we live the best life we can with it x

4 Likes

Hi Worriedwife,

Thanks for sharing your good news, it’s very nice to hear! We’re very glad to hear your husband is receiving such excellent support.

Take care,

Owen,
Moderation team

1 Like

Hi

So pleased for you but this is unfortunately not for everyone. As I have rheumatoid arthritis and would be unable to go to a gym and have a personal trainer.
On saying all this my Best Friend has offered to take me swimming one night a week she will pick. Me up and take me home and be there to help me. So who knows maybe I might start to feel better about myself. I AM59 And have hadPD for 5 years and rheumatoid arthritis for 20 years.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Babs x

Hello there Babs
I’m really sorry if it seemed I was suggesting that everyone could visit a Personal Trainer. Of course I realise that there are many people who can’t do that for numerous reasons.
I think what I was trying to say is that it’s worth doing some research to see what is available for your own capabilities and interests etc.
I can imagine that the Rheumatoid Arthritis will have an impact on what you can and can’t manage but I absolutely believe that regular swimming can have a positive effect on most people both physically and psychologically. I think an important point is to persevere and not expect instant benefits.
Hope it goes well for you and I apologise for any misunderstanding.

Good news exactly what we all need .Thankyou,

1 Like

Not at all thanks for your reply. Best wishes Babs x

The fact that your hubby is motivated is key to his success. One symptom of Parkinsons can be apathy, which my husband has. However, he is very motivated to have ice cream after each meal and I now need to go and give him some!

Many thanks for the positive news, I was diagnosed in June, on my birthday as it happens, and the first thing I did was to join the gym and have lost 10lbs and feel much fitter, and this is dispite us going on a 19 day cruise!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more!

1 Like

I was diagnosed last October, just before my 62nd burthay. I did exactly what you did. I immediately joined the gym and I lost 14 kilos since. I feel much better physically and mentally.

I acquired a new puppy 2 weeks before diagnosis.
I lost 3kg in the first month.

A gym membership would be a lot cheaper but not as much fun.

I have also been to an exercise physiologist who gave me a set of exercises designed for my capabilities. The exercises have helped mobility and therefor mental state.

Jim

2 Likes