Greetings from Dreich Glasgow!

Evening All

My mum was diagnosed with Parkinson's just before Christmas after almost 18 months. She's 73 and is burying her head in the sand. She doesn't want to know how it may progress and has no interest in going along to any support groups. My dad just turned 75 and is finding daily life hard to deal with. In the 4 weeks since her diagnosis, she's finding it difficult to turn in bed (my dad got 3 hours sleep one night last week), get her feet up on the sofa, get up off the sofa. She won't go over the door unless it for a doctor or hospital appointment and if my dad is going anywhere she wants to know how long he'll be and what time he will be back. My heart is breaking for both of them, just don't know what to do for the best. It's nice to have a place to come now where people know and have experience of what this horrible disease may throw at us.
Always nice to have a new member so welcome.

whilst I sympathise with how your'e feeling I can understand what your mother is going through as well. Everybody deals with this in their own way and you can't force someone to accept this before they're ready.

it takes some people a long time to get their head around what is happening to them, and Parkinson's is a scary prospect.

She's the only one that knows how she feels, you need to let her come to terms with it, in her own time and be ready to talk when she wants to.

I know it's hard for the people that love you to watch you go through this and not be able to do anything to help, but time is a great help.

Be there for her and your dad, as he probably needs a lot of support as well.
hi elibeth,welcome to puk forum,im ali ive been dx for 11 years,im 42 years old.i think caroline has said practicaly wot i was thinkin of surgestin to you as well:smile:try be strong ino its hard,all u can do is try be there for them both,they say love is the strongest.keep safe .ali x:smile:
Hopefully she will be prescribed medication (Madopar) that may help her. Hope she has a gentle GP. My GP told me the progress is very slow and there is medicine to help control the symptoms, however each case is different. I was prescribed an antidepressant when initially diagnosed as I would not go out either. It has helped me hugely. I am a Glaswegian by birth! I was 57 at time of diagnosis, now 62.
Also, has she been referred to a Parkinsons Nurse? Often people are referred to one by the consultant after diagnosis. They are hospital based and people find them very helpful to explain and give advice.