Gut-brain connection

We are only beginning to see the relationship between the bowel flora and it's connection to brain function--there is no high level, large scale data on therapy to alter/normalize the gut biome in PD. -----We know that various motor phenotypes of PD seem to correspond to specific alterations in gut flora. ------ We know that PD patients have a tendency to a different spectrum of bowel flora than "normals"-----We know that bowel issues-specifically dysmotility--constipation>diarrhea often precede motor signs of PD-----we know that in small studies there have been improvments in gut and motor manifestaions of PD when the stomach inflammation/ulcer bacteria- H pylori is treated----same wih the treatment of SIBO with rifaxamin (an antibiotic)----for me, it is clear that when my gut flora changes-with antibiotics or probiotics- my PD changes----for instance-after taking a broad spectrum antibiotic--and clearly developing lactose intolerance--I malabsorb my Stalevo-- easy to tell from the lack of color change from entacapone in the urine--it is also my experience that eating a lot of protein- or eating late at night and waking up 'full" will ruin my day-- even if the protein is spaced far from my meds. i am interested in knowing other personal experiences as the gut-brain interaction in PD is predominantly basic science-- it is hard to find clinically relevant anecdotes, let alone studies. Any advice ob "normalizing" gut flora would be greatly appreciated.

My own attempts in this area have all involved making large amounts of yoghurt: a 6 pint batch, drunk/eaten over 3 days. Tastes great, seems to make me feel a little better, but I've not noticed any long term effect.

The literature on faecal transplants is very interesting.

John

Hi there,

I'm becoming increasingly interested in the whole diet/nutrition aspect of having Parkinson's.  Is there a particular diet you're following?

btw - if that is you in the profile picture, do you do personal training.....i could do with your help!

Nick

This all goes above my head on this dietry system. But funny I should come across the post, I have been taking the same medication since diagnosis 6 years ago  i.e Ropinirole XL slow release which has suited me, I've always eaten anything and everything at any time, with no problems, until just over the 3 weeks ago when I have been feeling ill. Don't know exactly what the cause is and don't really think the GP does either

Sheila

Hi Sheffy

Sorry to hear you not so well been a bit out of sorts myself you know how it is,

I find myself that if I eat protein more than once a day I feel awful ,I know eating protein can affect meds if you take them to soon but the amount also seems to affect me well,  

Just a thought

Live well.  Cc

Hi CC - Thanks for that, I realise that a lot of the parky meds run in conjuction with diets, think I will have to re-educate myself on different food stuff!  But as I said I have always eaten anything and everything without problems, I've picked up a bug of some sort, and has sent my body in to another mode, i've been like it for over 3 weeks now and lost nearly a stone in weight (not that I mind that!)  Docs are very slow on finding out the problem so got to wait for blood test results to see what the outcome will be.

Anyway enough about me, hope you are still coping with what's been thrown your way, it's a case of having to is'nt it, we have to help ourselves along the way. Love your little pussy cat with the 'friendly' grin by the way! Keep well my friend - Sheila xx

Hi Sheffy

Yep I always used to eat every thing and anything but alas no more lol, I normally only eat once a day now and that's a smallish one , I will eat a biscuit or two with my meds normally a digestive as there bland,

I don't get any hunger sensation anymore so tend not to bother to much if my oh didn't prod me I would starve Lol. 

Yep still upright and kicking as the alternative is lay down n die and I'm not ready to do that yet, even been writing poetry again so that's a positive, see July 2016 in creative corner . 

Anyway must go.  Live well.  Cc

Hello Cc.

Well you're dark horse (or should I say pussycat) well done on your poetry! Keep em coming I say, use more of that brain matter. I've tried writing poetry myself but it's not for me, I like sitting down to a crossword to keep my brain ticking over. Keep focused and come out fighting all the way.

PS I've actually managed to keep my first of many meals down, so think I'm on the mend - it was HEAVEN

Take care - Sheila ( will be on the lookout for more poems) xx

Hi Sheffy

Glad to hear your on the mend , yep my poems are some what darker now but that helps put things into perspective and let's light into the darker parts of my thoughts.

Cant do crosswords any more as my memory not great but used to really enjoy them , will try to keep writing poetry for as long as I can though Iv never thought It was very good , guess I never thought anyone else wold like it and only ever put it on the forum to join in lol. 

Live well.  Cc

The only poetry I can manage is 'the cat sat on the mat'! Definately not a genius in the making!  Poetry can take on many different forms today, a lot comes from your thoughts and inner feelings I think, I've got none of those so hence my reasoning! (chuckle)  

Take care Cc - Sheila x

I found this an interesting article, please could you tell me where I could read/learn more?

Thank you,

Hello,

Sorry to read that you are feeling ill, I hope you feel better soon.

Since my diagnosis (2005) I was ok with all foods except eggs. Over the last 2-3 years I found that I could not tolerate certain foods as they seem to interfere with the medication.

Take care.

Hi

Look at the topic " Parkinsons Improvement "  here  - gut brain connection is not a new idea !

S

So sorry to hear you have not been feeling too well sheffy......now i am no poet and certainly not a threat to Tennyson or Byron but i have put a little ditty together for you!!!

SHEFFY IS A LOVELY GAL, WHO HASN'T BEEN TOO WELL

HER TUM HAS BEEN OUT OF SORTS, BUT HOW COULD SHE TELL?

WELL SHE LOST A STONE, AS HER APPETITE DECLINED

HER TUMMY SHRUNK AND RUMBLED, BUT THAT SOUNDS UNKIND

SO PLEASED TO HEAR YOU ARE ON THE MEND, AND CAN NOW EAT ALL YOU WISH

KEEP SMILING OUR SPECIAL FRIEND, AND ENJOY WHAT'S IN YOUR DISH!!

(like i said no threat to poets anywhere haha!)

luv Dolly xx

Hey Dolly thankyou for that, it's really nice of you. I've had a few things wrong but it has all turned well, the only thing is I have been left with absolutely no sense of smell or taste whatsoever, where I used to have a bit, I just can't enjoy any meal at all.

Hope you are feeling a whole lot better yourself and also Mr Dollymaz.

Going away for a couple of days, so won't be online till Wednesday, take care - Sheila xx

Good one Dolly! I haven't had any taste or smell Sheila since months before diagnosis. It's not nice is it and frustrating I find. I do hope yours. Comes back. Maybe just due to you feeling unwell for a while. 

Sue x

Hi Sue.....weird isn't it? i remember before diagnosis also losing my sense of smell, which after returning 3 bottles of perfume to various manufacturers finally realised that it was ME! though it isn't quite as bad now it is not as strong as it once was. Can be handy at times haha!!!

so many symptoms to this old Parky pain in the a***isn't there? but we keep going and most of all keeeeeeeeeeeeeeep smiling and as my old Nan used to say "It beats cock fighting" whatever that meant !!!!

Best wishes 

luv Dolly xx