Hallucinations

My husband has had Parkinsons for over 13 years now.In the past two weeks he has been getting hallucinations of insects and spiders.Usually in the evening when he is alone in his bedroom.We wonder if it could be the Madopar which he sometimes increases as advised for bad tremors.We have to wait until august to see his consultant.The GP has contacted him for advice.

Hi Peejay,
We’re sorry to hear about your husband’s recent challenges. We found some information on our website about Madopar and hallucinations here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/your-magazine/stories/seeing-things-michelles-experience-hallucinations. You may wish to do a search for the terms as well to find archived forum discussions on the subject. And as always, don’t hesitate to reach out to our free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303. Our advisers there are capable of helping in a variety of ways.
With our warmest wishes,
Jason
Forum Moderator

I am new to Parkinsons but was told by the team that visual or auditory hallucinations are quite common and are often an early symptom. I was told that most commonly animals feature in visual hallucinations. I have not - at least not yet - experienced such visual hallucinations, but I do from time to time when out think that someone I know - usually a work colleague - has called my name but when I look there is no one I know in the vicinity. My name is Steve which is pretty common so I cannot rule out someone who sounds similar to someone I know calling to another Steve. But this appears to be happening increasingly often so I do wonder if I am experiencing audio hallucinations. Cant be certain yet though.