Having fun on holiday

I'm writing this in the hope others will not worry about perhaps being out of the comfort zone of routine. At home I rarely get up before 9.30. I go through my day pretty much the same most days. So it was with some trepidation I and my other half considered going to thailand. I was diagnosed just over 2 years ago, and with medication feel ok.

I coped with the 12 hour flight, including sitting on the airplane for an hour as the luggage didn't tally and there was a recount. I'm sweating buckets here, but I've even got up at 5.30 to go and see a temple at sunrise. I've ridden a bike without any mishaps, I find counting when going through a narrow space is good ( a tip from the doctor). At times my leg which get stiff has ached, but I've found the more I've walked has helped. I've had a Thai massage, not relaxing but great fun.

I've also had the opportunity to look after elephants and mucking out at 7.30 in the morning, I've been determined my parkinsons wouldn't stop me mucking in.

I have had moments where I know I've done enough, but I love being in new places and seeing new things. I just want to make the most of it. It's been a relief to know I can cope, so now if I get the chance to do something else I know I will have a go.
How exciting.
Good on ya !
Good on you very envious , we have ventured to Thailand 6 times in last 11 years of o/h diagnosis , it was always our plan to semi retire there so purchased a little condo.
Sadly that dream has passed and we hae sold it but still drag o/h on holidays.
Not the easiest but he doesn't complain ?

Enjoy xxx
your holiday sounds real good fun,i would deffo clean them out and muck in if i could.i could not now,but deffo before i could.i hope you have many more hols like that:smile:
Hi Valerie
I agree with you that it is rather daunting to get out of your comfort zone. I had to push myself to go to Thailand (Koh Samui) although I had been there many times before the pd set in. I have to have assistance at the airports but have found that the staff were terrific. Like you I found myself getting up earlier and found that a massage every other day was a great help. After a few days I was walking much better and further. On returning home, I (with tongue in cheek!!) suggested the consultant that perhaps a weekly massage in Thailand paid for by the NHS would be a good thing. I was told that I had two hopes of that and that one of them was Bob Hope. To anyone thinking of it, I say grab your chance and go. pd is seen abroad as well as uk and someone is always there to help if you have a problem. Best of luck travellers

Chunky
Thanks for all your replies. Have just left chaing mai, which was great, cooler, easier to cope with. The women's prison there rehabilitate the women by teaching them massage, highly recommended, not exactly relaxing, but very good. Have arrived today in petchaburi, much hotter again. Yes I think this as a therapy for us would be great, here's hoping!