Headaches

Hi, I am 69 and been diagnosed with a Parkinsonism called Pallidopyramidal Syndrome in 2010. Had symptoms for many years before. I am taking Levan opaque, Amantadine and using Rotigatin patches. I suffer from periodic severe throbbing headaches in the back of my head which radiate to the top. No pain relief helps and it can last up to 2 weeks. Does anyone have this symptom and suggestions to help?

Hello
I’ve started getting quite strong head pain on my right side of head, near temple. Not like a normal head ache, induces a strange feeling that induces a sick feeling. Been getting for about 2 weeks now, not every night, just odd ones. Starting the gym again soon so hopefully will help. Will see but it’s not a nice feeling. All the best to you.

A one sided headache with nausea might be a migraine. I’m a migraine sufferer myself. There are some good medications available nowadays.

Hi @Caf,

Headaches can occur at any stage in your condition and occasionally may be caused by the medication used to treat Parkinson’s. If you’re experiencing frequent headaches, you should probably consult with your GP or Parkinson’s nurse for them to review your medication.

If you’d like more information and support on this, feel free to contact our helpline and speak to one of our advisers. Do give them a call on 0808 800 0303.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi Caf, my mother has been diagnosed with PD from January but not on any medication at the moment. In the past few weeks she has been night attacks of internal pulsating jaw tremors which gives her headaches and like you, starting on the back of the head which radiate upwards. We went to one GP who states it could be TMJ and then the dentist saying its part of the Parkinsons after checking her mouth. She had her last attack last night, it woke her up.

Can you tell me more about your Pallidopyramidal Syndrome? What are the symptoms and how it’s diagnosed?

Hi Amanda 1, I had several symptoms, weakness on right side, I dragged my right foot and lost arm swing. Movements and speech became slow so I found it difficult to do every day things and I lost my balance easily and had lots of falls when walking or falling backwards when getting out of chairs I had trouble with swallowing and my speech was quieter and sometimes slurred. Later I noticed a tremor on the right side that got worse if I became anxious. I saw a Neurologist in Harley Street who advised me to get referred to National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. I was an inpatient for 5 days. I had MRI, Days scan, Lumbar puncture, blood tests, nerve and muscle conduction tests and Neuropsychometry test. I was then diagnosed with the syndrome. I hope this helps. Sorry should say Dat scan not Days scan