Hello Again. Hadn't realised I'd been away so long

Hello again,looking back at my activity it seems that I haven't visited since about October 2013! I hadn't realised it had been so long. The gap coincides with when I started to feel unwell, which culminated in a new additional diagnosis in February 2014. I was dx with PD in Jan 2013 at 45 yrs and started meds but by the end of the year I was getting progressively worsening symptoms, jerking, involuntary movements, stiff muscles and crippling dystonia pain in my chest. I even fell in the night once and could hardly get upstairs. All rather scary but I kept putting it down to PD and my meds kept being crease by telephone consult. I finally visited my GP with a chest infection and shingles who told me off for being too stoical! Anyway she did a thorough work up and after an abnormal ECG and a scary visit to A and E for bloods to see if I'd had a heart attack (I hadn't!) my bloods came back showing "off the scale" severe hypothyroidism. I'd not had any blood tests since well before my PD dx! The symptoms of hypothyroidism mimic PD and hence it had been missed. It's taken me the past year to learn how to manage the two conditions together as when my thyroxin levels are off it seems to affect my PD symptoms. On the whole I'm really well now and exercise regularly. Just get fatigued quite easily but find sleeping patterns haphazard. 

Is there anybody else out there with both these conditions? If so, I'd love to hear from you. 

Really interested to read Silverkins blog. I was dx  early 2013 after a long time of suffering different things. I was already on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. Gradually had my PD meds increased but recently have been feeling so tired, lethargic struggling to motivate myself. Yesterday I suddenly thought of my thyroid problem looked up symptoms and they are so similar to PD in some instances. Now I have read your blog I am going to get my annual blood test done early and hope that is the problem. Will let you know.

Hi Silverkins....welcome back! Like you i have an underactive Thyroid and Parky.I started with an Overactive Thyroid in the early 90s and was very poorly with weight loss, increased appetite and shaking and generally everything speeded up! After 2 years on meds i was given radioactive iodine at the Hospital which was uptaken by the thyroid gland and after a couple of months noticed the signs of underactivity.......weight gain! tiredness, no appetite and woozy head, heavy limbs etc. Since then i have been on a daily dose of 100mg of Levothyroxin and have an annual blood test. The blood test range for a normal Thyroid is large and i find that although the test always comes back "Normal" if it is at the lower end of the scale i generally feel the underactive symptoms and feel a definite improvement if i am at the higher end, though as i say it is still in their eyes "Normal".

In the USA they believe that taking the temperature is far more effective to diagnose an underactive Thyroid than a blood test, but it appears that is not the case here. 

I am pleased to hear that you are feeling better and found out what was causing you to feel so poorly....Parky is enough to cope with without all the added bits ay?!!!

Best wishes

Dolly x

Thank you Georgie and Dolly for getting in touch. I was beginning to think I was on my own with these two conditions!  Good luck with your investigations, Georgie and hope you feel brighter soon. I'm having a rough week this week with lots of strange involuntary movements. I think it's related to fatigue as I've been doing too much. Peri menopause is adding to my difficulties too. confusedI can relate completely to your "normal" blood results not reflecting the delicate balance, Dolly. I've taken 150mcg levothyroxintonight in the hope that  I'll feel better tomorrow. Xx

Hi all i to haven't been on the forum for a few years but its good to be back!

I am interested in your discussion on thyroid problems combined with Pd. I was dx with Pd in 2009 and been on meds from the start, i also have an under active thyroid (dx over 20yrs ago). I have been on the same meds for my thyroid from the start but recently i have had my 6 month blood test and found out my thyroid is improving and my medication has been reduced? I don't know if this is connected with the Pd but  i wonder if my various movement problems, tiredness, weight loss and gained appetite are partly because of the thyroid not just the Pd!

Up until now i have not heard any one else talk about Pd and thyroid diagnosis!

Silverkins i sympathise i  to have gone through peri menopause and now the full blown menopause!!!! aaaaagh!

x

Hi Big C,

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH PD 3 YEARS AGO BUT HAD SYMPTOMS BEFORE THAT,I ALSO HAVE AN UNDERACTIVE THYROID,DIAGNOSED  ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO.

MY MEDICATION FOR THE THYROID PROBLEM VARIED A BIT BUT HAVE ALSO BEEN ON THE SAME LOWER DOSE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS,I ALSO STARTED ON MEDICATION FOR PD.RIGHT AWAY,I ALSO HAD TIREDNESS,MUSCLE PAIN BEFORE I STARTED ON MEDICATION FOR THE THYROID BUT THESE IMPROVED WHEN THE THYROID MEDS KICKED IN,I THINK THE PROBLEMS I HAVE NOW ARE DEFINITELY CAUSED BY PD.AND NOT BY MY THYROID PROBLEMS.

HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS .  ANNE DUNCAN      

My results showed my levels had not changed so I suppose it was just a case of me trying to do too much. Since I posted in May we have had a great holiday in France where I did very little as it was so hot and my arthritic hip decided to rear it's ugly head. I felt great nearly all holiday but as soon as I got home again had to start coping again. 

Hi, diagnosed PD c4 yrs ago, underactive thyroid c40years ago. 4 months ago the doctor reduced thyroxine as last blood test showed the level had risen - this was a surprise to my doctor as it was for me, and will get a further blood test in c6 weeks. I have been putting weight on and reading your post i feel it may well be the reduced ythyroine dosage. The weight increase has been getting me down. I am not eating more than normal and I have been active over the lst 6 months (2 x gym sessions and personal trainer, increasing walking) but my PD symptoms have alo been getting worse. Looking for info. I came across this ol post.Maybe all I need is to get back on theprevious thyroxine dose. Fingers crossed it is that simple x