Hello all

Hi All

Neil, I’m seventy years old and live in sheltered housing. I also have poor eyesight and a learning disability. I reckon I have had Parkinson’s for thirteen years. It was my then neighbor in 2013 who commented on my shaking hand. It was not that I hadn’t noticed it myself but I dismissed it as a harmless tic. Though, I think it all started three years earlier when I started being afflicted by cramp in my left foot. Now the disease manifests itself as shaking, shuffling and overwhelming weakness.

I take Ropinirole 2mg and 4mg tablets as well as 25/100 mg co-careldopa tablets and finally a 1mg tablet of Rasagiline. I find that the co- careldopa takes anything from half an hour to three hours to kick in and keeps the symptoms at bay for anything from one to three hours , depending on how active I am. If I walked ten times round my block - about a mile - it would be used up in twenty minutes but if I was just lazing round the house it could last four hours.

I struggle with constipation, too. Whether this is caused by the disease itself or the drugs taken to control it hasn’t I believe been conclusively established.

Well that’s it. Look forward to hearing from anyone who feels so inclined.

Hi Neil, we’re sorry to hear about your recent difficulties. We can assure you you are not alone. I just wanted to say hi and let you know that we have a lot of very helpful information on our website at Parkinsons.org.uk, including daily activities and research news. You can also call us at 0808 800 0303 for free and confidential one-on-one support.

I’m sure other members will jump in to welcome you and will be able to advise you on their experiences with the medication you are taking and if any of them have led to constipation, as some medications can do this.

In the meantime, I’d encourage you to look around and see what you discover.
Best wishes,
Jem
Moderation Team

Hi dolphin,
on the constipation side, I was recommended to add a teaspoon of flax seed to my breakfast, and I supplement that with dried figs and prunes. Not a total solution but it helps and is tastier than macrogol!

Hi. I had awful constipation until someone suggested prune juice. A glass a day works wonders!