Hello all

Hi Ian

I guess we're all "work in progress", just as well as we'd get boring if we never changed. Good luck

Aye aye daffy 

How's things the day , ? my parkys no great the day some days am pretty good though . What's your biggest problem ? For myself it seems to be the legs , walking is not very good aw moan moan we are at our happiest when we' are moaning ha ha !! I  feel better already your turn daffy .  Tooraloo

Ian 

Hi Ian,

I'm ok thanks. Hope you are having a better day today.

My left side is affected. Arm made some interesting moves while I was having a tooth extracted a while back. Stress related I suppose. My startle reflex is pretty sharp too. Any unexpected noise and I jump though the roof; then have a quick look around to see if any one noticed!

Anxiety's a bit of a nuisance but now I know where it's coming from (PD of course) I am better at controlling it.

Can't multi task any more either. It's a case of start a job, finish it - then move onto the next task.

It seems that the trick is to recognise and accept the problem, then work out how to deal with it.

Anyway,thanks for listening, I feel better for that. I don't like to tell my husband too many moans and don't want to bother rest of family as my son-in -law's dad has had a form of MND for 30 years, so a bit of PD is hardly worth mentioning is it?? Ha ha!

Take care, Daffy

Aye aye daffy 

I see from. Your post you are female not that it makes any difference , I just posted and here we are having a feel good moan about our condition. We all need to tell someone when things are not great .  I have to go as the wife's shouting supper time speak another time as I have a lot of moans yet ha ha !! 

Ian 

Aye aye daffy 

your not multi tasking doesn't matter the fact your tasking is really good keep it up. And stay positive , I sometimes think our Meds cause problems too but we need them to function as best we can. We got a lot of life and just a wee bit PD  won't stop us ! No. Matter what we are better of than some as you say ,  well that's all from DR Ian ha ha !! Drop us a post now and then as to how you go daffy 

tooraloo Ian  ( keep smiling )  

Hi Ian

Couldn't agree more Ian. What's the old saying "Accentuate the positive"?

Since I've started to accept my diagnosis I have realised life isn't infinite (bit late I know), so whereas once I would wonder wether of not to to try something new, now I just get on with it.

Nothing so grand as marathon running (not my style) but I have joined a bee keeping club and now have my own hive! The other members are not at all cliquey and my mentor doesn't see PD as a problem. Bees like quiet slow movements. Ideal. Interestingly I don't shake when handling bees. And I like honey. Roll on honey harvest.

Keep on cycling!

Aye aye. Daffy. 

Good for you !! That's a really good thing to have bees  but like everything there is a bit more to it  than people think , is it a good area for your bees ? As here in Scotland the bees work the heather but bee keepers tell me it shortens the bees life as their wings wear out faster . Anyway good luck with the hobby  just don't try and work as hard as they do . Think your bees will like your slow movements  hope you don't get a sting just a good helping of nice honey . It's time I was trying to find something but all I seem to do is fix and break things and no real hobby aw well I am sure I will find time and something one day  tooraloo daffy 

Ian 

Hi Ian,

We're in the midlands, not too bad for bees. They are a bit more work these days due to imported diseases but still not too bad. They reckon you need to check hives once a week this time of year. That only takes 30mins or so per hive. No fear of me doing too much. I belong to the "Do a bit leave a lot" brigade these days.

Aye aye daffy 

hope your enjoying summer I think it just great , I was watching nature  oot the back and thought of you as I watched honey bees working the clover on the lawn , am busy pottering about tidying up just now while the weathers so good . ( at my own speed )  like you said not very quick , but we always get there in the end  between hospital appointments am starting to feel like a ginnie pig of medical practice ha ha not to worry if we have a wee moan means we're doing fine I suppose ,  hope this finds you well tooralooo for now 

Lord o the highlands Ian 

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear you've been doing a round of hospital appointments; hope they turn up something of use for you.

My bees are being very little busy bees at the moment, seem to be enjoying the heat more than I am. It's way too hot here in Worcestershire for me. By mid day we're forced indoors with curtains drawn to keep some of the heat out. I really don't like drawing curtains during the daytime. The temperature has reached the high 20's every day this week -even touched 30 twice! I much prefer cooler temperatures (but not too cold though, picky me).  Now that I have PD I find the heat makes me tired more easily and I seem more aware of other symptoms.  Hey Ho not a lot to be done about that - put the kettle on for another cuppa.

And it's so dry, can't remember when we last had rain. Having spent my working life as a horticulturalist I suppose I tend to notice when we haven't had much rain. You seem to have plenty of it in Scotland from what I see of the TV weather map - probably more than you want/need!

Keep cycling, Ruth

Aye aye  daffy 

how's things with you well I hope , the tempritures dropped a fair bit now up here in the highlands hope ypur tempritures are a bit bearable now as you reckoned it was too hot yet some pay big money to go lie about in the heat abroad I don't like it too hot myself , but the cold is worse for my symptoms , the bees still doing okay ? Hope your not getting stung with the wee Devils , got to be honest I don't like honey but my wife likes it on toast , better get off to my bed it's getting late take care Ruth tooraloo 

Ian 

Hi Ian,

Yes temperature's much more to my liking now thanks. I'm a bit of a wimp were that's concerned, always have been as I've never been keen on temperature extremes. Less so now with PD because as you said it seems to make symptoms worse.

I haven't been  stung yet, just the odd "pin prick". Today I showed my husband how well my bees are doing and as we walked stupidly away caught my foot and fell sprawling at his feet. Fortunately he refrained from comments about women still throwing themselves at his feet! And he made me a nice cup of coffee and a buttered scone to go with the paracetemol. He doesn't even like honey.

Yesterday wasn't too good a day as I sat with my grandchildren while their parents had to take their family dog to be put to sleep. She'd had a good life (13). Typical staffie nanny dog, very child and family orientated and it's left a huge hole in their life.I came back feeling absolutely shattered (not by the kids) by the emotion of it all. I don't seem as resilient as I used to be.  Made an extra big fuss of my border colllie (10) when I got home.

I've just re read all this and realise I have wittered on far too much. Ruth

.aye aye daffy sorry to hear of the loss of the staffie it's a very hard thing when you loose a pet as they are one of your family it knocked me for six when we had the same thing in October our good companion  golden retriever 15 and a half ( dude ) our sons named him , only two weeks ago we got a new puppy retriever cross lab ( buddy ) he's a lot of fun , as for your emotions PD drugs can add to your emotions a bit but a shame on the poor grandchildren , you will have to slow it up a bit  and no more falls            As the ground is tougher than we are you only  get one set of bones . Ruth you don't Twitter on at all it's good to hear from you I am the expert at talking too much ha ha  . Take care post any time about anything PD or life's wee story's ,  tooraloo for now take care 

ian

Hi Ian

Your new puppy sounds great fun. We always used to have two dogs, with a decent age gap, so hopefully we would not be left dogless! But since the last one died five years ago we have been down to one. I'm frequently tempted to get another but wonder if I could cope with all the training. As I am chief dog trainer, walker, feeder, groomer etc. My husband has emphysema and I don't like to ask him to take over too often.

I love having a dog around. Quite a while ago I puppy walked 5 guide dog puppies (not all at once!). 3 qualified as guide dogs and 2 of their owners got in touch to tell me how well they were doing, which was lovely. I only stopped when our own little mongrel at the time got too old to keep the youngsters in line - it didn't seem fair on her to keep bringing puppies into the house. At about the same time our last guide dog puppy failed. A great big hairy German Shepard female - a bunch of youths frightened her in training and after that she  would not work in harness - terrible shame but we were offered her back as a pet for £1 can  you believe. My husband has always had a soft spot for the breed so we jumped at the chance.

Recently I have thought of re-homing an older dog but several of our grand children are still quite young and are often here so maybe not just yet. Trouble is I keep browsing re-homing websites. One day....

Bye for now Ruth

Aye aye daffy 

your right not to take on another dog as quite a lot of older dogs don't really like a younger dog invading their space , I don't think we could foster guide doge as we wouldn't want to part with them , must be very rewarding though fair play to you for doing it they are amazing dogs so clever , aye and your right it's a lot of work training a pup we know that with our pup ( buddy ) but I must say he is a clever wee thing great fun too . Can't believe you got a dog for £1.00 that's really good a real bargain . Hope your getting on okay with your bees great time of year for them . Well take care of yourself especially when with the wee buzzers  tooraloo Ruth 

ian 

Hi Ian

We were always a bit sad when our foster dogs left but Guide Dogs sent regular reports of how they were progressing and we had tried hard to remember they were not ours, only borrowed.

Guide Dogs only charge a nominal fee (probably more now) for re-homed "alternative career" dogs (PC gone mad) so that the responsibility for them has formally changed hands.

Guide Dog owners also pay a similar amount for their dogs so that any one in need of a guide dog can afford one. Mind you guide dogs also fund food and medical costs for the whole life of dogs that have qualified, again so that no one who needs a guide dog is excluded by financial circumstances. Not bad eh?As you may have guessed I'm a supporter of theirs!  As well as Parkinson's UK of course.

Bees ok thanks but somehow I don't think the colony will be strong enough for me to harvest honey this year. Ah well.

Buddy sounds great fun. Worth all the hard work for the love and loyalty they give back aren't they? His sort are usually very well behaved too aren't they. Good  luck with the house training.  Ruth

Aye aye daffy 

aye we get the catalogue for guide dogs we always have done and we always get nice Xmas cards ect from it . They are the real cream of dogs , as for buddy he is some boy what a character our house looks like a bomb hit it with toys and ripped up cardboard boxes we t give him to chew on scattered all over the floor !! Great fun I train him for a wee while in the morning then just let him be a puppy after . He is picking things up now . Sorry to hear about your bees colony but I know nothing about bees but I like to watch them on the snowberry bushes out the back of our house it's humming there is loads of bees in it and the clover on the lawn too . Well good luck Ruth tooraloo nice talking to someone that loves dogs 

Ian x

Yep. Dogs are a good subject for me.

My son and his family are going to see a 2yr old collie cross tomorrow, at a nearby re-homing centre. They don't like being a one dog family since the staffie died. Their ex-working collie is a friendly submissive fellow so they're hoping all goes well.

I think we had better just stick with the one for now, unless something crops up unexpectedly - you never know.

Anyway I've been really good today and cleaned the oven. Well it's an achievement for me as I hate the job. i wouldn't dare admit when I last did it!

I hope Buddy hasn't run out of cardboard boxes to play with yet. Ours always liked them too, cheap effective toys. Have a good weekend. Ruth

Aye aye daffy  

how's it going did your son have any success with getting a new dog ?  Our pup ( buddy ) is a wee diamond great he is so laid back a real easy ozy pup with outbursts of nonsense good fun yes we have a cracking pup here we are well chuffed with him , I actual think he would have made the grade for a guide dog aw am Just over the moon with him he is now one of our family .  Hope your taking it easy these days Ruth no stress no strain is now the name of the game ha ha easier said than done eh !  Well am of to take wee buddy out to pee and then off to my bed , look forward to hear how your son got on tooraloo Ian night night x

Hi Ian,

Yep my son and family have another dog to keep their old colllie company. The collie cross had gone but they have a "little" 11week old staffieXlurcher pup - Ruby. She looks far from little in the photo they sent me. Think we'll pay them a visit next weekend to play with the pup! If I can part it from their children! 

Trouble is this is all making my daughter want a dog of her own. She and her husband have 2 young children, a small house and not enough spare time. So far they have resisted temptation but I rather think that when the children are a bit older  they probably will give in and get one. Especially as the eldest of her children ( 2+yrs) is dog mad already. He's quite good too - doesn't prod and pull them about, strokes them properly and can even say "Sit" and "Down" in the right tone. Definitely takes after his Gran. 

Bees are busy as bees I'm glad to say. Hope to go on a "Bee Safari" on Saturday. Not exotic as it sounds - the local bee keepers group will visit two local beekeepers Apiaries and have picnic  lunch out. Chance for a good bee natter.

Buddy sounds great fun. I should think he keeps you and your wife very busy at the moment.  I'd better go and brush my collie - Merlin. His feet are looking very hairy again so I'd better trim between his toes. He puts up with the indignity of it as long at there's a tripe stick treat in the offing.

Speak to you again soon Ruth