Hello and help please!

Hello I am so relieved to have found people to talk to who might understand! My dad has Parkinson's and dementia. He and my mum live in France and so I am trying to support them from a distance most of the time visiting as often as I can.

Recently dad has started grinding his teeth sometimes all day long! My mum is finding it hard to cope. The neurologist has prescribed risperidone to treat it. This is on top of Modopar and Stavelo. 

Does anyone have any knowledge of treating teeth grinding? We are very reluctant to give dad yet more drugs especially an antipsychotic. We are desperate to know what to do!

Any advice please. 

Hi Noteasy,

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure other members will pop-in and offer their knowledge if they can. Meanwhile, it may be worth calling our free Helpline on 0808 800 0303. They can give advice on all aspects of Parkinson's and they are open from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm and Saturday: 10am-2pm. 

Best wishes,

Edwina

Moderation Team

Thank you Edwina.

Hi Notesay

I think the best thing your father can do is to visit the dentist for some sort of shield to protect his teeth when the grinding occurs. But you should get some good advice from the helpline on this because they will have come across this problem before.

I wish you your family all the best - Sheila