Hello everyone

Hi everyone. My name is Deborah and my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s about 4 years ago. He is 80 and lives alone, I am 49, married and live around 3 miles away.
I am struggling mentally, to cope with his declining abilities. He has always been strong and able to solve problems. Lately he is finding it hard to grasp the simplest of instructions. He is making lists of the same things over and over, which is only adding to his confusion. I have all the patience in the world with him, but I don’t feel like I’m helping much, although he says I am.
I have written microwave and TV instructions in the simplest terms, yet he still struggles. He gets upset because he can’t understand things and I get upset because he’s struggling.
I joined this forum just for a bit of support and any ideas that could help us both.
Thank you for allowing me to be here and I look forward to being a part of the community.
Deb

Hi @Deborah69,

A warm welcome to the forum.

As someone’s Parkinson’s progresses, they may rely on you or others for more support. I appreciate that this can have a mental effect on you, however, you are not alone and there is support for you and your dad. This could be from health care professionals, your local social services, NHS continuing healthcare or our support services.

Additionally, as someone’s Parkinson’s progresses, you and the person you care for may start thinking about different housing options, including home care and care homes. We have a lot more information on this here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/caring-someone-advanced-parkinsons

We also have a free and confidential helpline service available to you where you can speak to one of our friendly advisers regarding any medical queries that you may have. You can call us on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm, or you can email [email protected].

I’m sure you’ll receive a lot of helpful advise from the forum community, but I hope you find the information above helpful in the interim.

Best wishes,
Reah - Community Manager

Hi Deborah69. Welcome to the forum and as Reah has already said you are not alone. Im sure you will find lots of members in a similar situation as carers who can offer some advice or at least lend an ear. I find it helps just to share sometimes.
I am not as old as your Dad (73) but can relate to his problems. I have to list things down because I forget easily and often get confused then frustrated at the fact I seem unable to tackle the simplest of tasks. Even the lists I make seem to have been written by an alien. I assume from what you have said about the TV and Microwave he is unable to use a PC. It takes me a long time with one finger then correcting all the mistakes but I find this forum a lifeline.
I do however consider myself fortunate that my wife is still with me and therefore really feel for your Dad.
Lots of Best Wishes

Mal