Hello from New Zealand

Hi 

I am 52 years old and have just been diagnosed with Parkinsons. I am British but have been living in New Zealand for 7 years. I thought I would join the PD UK forum as I don't think there are too many PWP in NZ for me to communicate with. I am not sure what to say at this moment as it is very early days for me. So it's hello from me and I am hoping to get to know a few of you over the coming months. Scooby

Hi Scooby and welcome

am sure you will find the forum informative and supportive. Just wanted to tell you that I have a book called Positively Parkinson s by Ann Andrews who is a New Zealander. I think you ll find it very useful as you ve just been diagnosed.

wishing you all the very best

samdog

Welcome scooby0906 what a lovely part of the world. Hope the forum serves you well

Hi Samdog

I have this book and have already read it several times. I recommend it to anyone with PD as it's been written in such a positive way. Ann Andrews has written a second book called Grandma's brain which I believe came out earlier this year but i haven't seen it anywhere yet. 

Thanks for your message

Scooby

Yes it is very positive. Didn t know she d written another one. Will look out for it. Thanks for that.

Ann Andrews talks about Parkinson s field officers in NZ. The equivalent of Park UK s Informatiion and Support Workers I would guess. Are you in touch with one? In the UK along with the PD nurses they are an invaluable source of information, support and advice.

with all best wishes

samdog

Hello and welcome, hope you find the forum useful

And it's a hello from Wales!!......... Welcome scooby, if I can be of any assistance please let me know !

Another  hello from Wales.

Are you a rugby fan, scooby??

Thanks Spider. 

Thanks also to Benji, Richard and Bethan. By the way, it's impossible to live in New Zealand and not follow Rugby

Hello and welcome! It`s a maze out there even if you live in a city. Good luck with it all---I`ve found people really friendly and helpful.

All the best

hello from Lincoln scooby0906,

One very big welcome from us al,l we all on here endeavour  to help each other out as much as possible so dont worry yourself just let us guide you on your journey.

BB x

Thanks Frances and BettyBlue. 

hi

i was born in  scotland, but lived in nz for 20 yr and now in  oz.

dont mention rugby until the blediloe is safe!

what city are you in. i lived in auckland, hamilton, rotorua, wellington............

cheers

hould have said, kia ora

Hi Turnip

We've been living in the Christchurch area since we emigrated in 2007. We lost our house in the big earthquake and moved to Rangiora, North Canterbury a year later. I was loving NZ until the quake and then it all turned to custard. I still like NZ and think it's a good place to live, especially for the children but it's not the same for me now as it was five years ago.

How do you like OZ compared to NZ. We have thought about it for a long while but now with the diagnosis I doubt we'll be able to go.

Cheers

Scooby

It doesnt move around as much but then again there are redbacks, snakes and forest fires, not to mention its full of australians.

i know how you feel - i was in a big quake in 1986 (edgcombe) and my late wife never really got over it.

i loved armidale until, my wife died - now its got too many bad memories.

are you nz citizens? if not become one and australia is just a matter of buying a ticket. i emigrated to oz 2 years after diagnosis.

cheers

t

Its interesting to know that you emigrated to OZ after diagnosis but what about healthcare? Is it all private?

as a nz citizen you are entitled to full medicare cover. yahoo. you need to take out medical insurance including basic hospital cover ($150 per month?), a neuro visit costs about $200 of which you get about $100 back from  medicare. if you get dbs i estimate you need to top up your insurance by $20,000 or so.

meds are expensive until you reach the annual $1700 'safety net' when  they become cheap.

on the other hand you get treated like a private patient ie accurate appointment times, civil nurses etc

its basically half way between the nhs and the usa system.

cheers

ps if you do need dbs you will still end up in sydney as part of the nz quota, but i dont know how long the queue is. also insurers cant discriminate against existing conditions ie i think you cant be refused insurance.