Hello from West Australia

Hi Turnip,

Armidale eh? The ciry of four seasons. Very nice! A bit more tropical than good ol' Scotland? :grin:

Kind regards,
rico
Hiya Andy!

Thank you for the welcome!

Same sort of commute time for you as for me, it's crazy! :rolling_eyes:

Great news on your DBS:exclamation: I know a few people who have had it done at Royal North Shore, did you get it done there?

Good article about DBS in the Australian Financial Review of June 25-26 titled "New Hope for the Aging Brain". A neurologist, Paul Clouston, has also had this procedure done at RNS. Dr. Clouston is on the board of Parkinson's NSW. IIRC he is 51 and has been dx since 2004.

Good to hear these success stories.

One bit of the article I did not fully understand was the bit were they said that 80% of patients siugnificantly decrease their meds and 20% of the patients stop their meds altogether after the procedure. From what I recall reading on DBS (maybe I read old articles) DBS helps primarily with tremor and not so much with bradykinesia and rigidity. How has it helped you?

Best wishes,
rico
Four seasons in one day, to quote someone or other.
have taken to armidale driving - 25kph and only cross the road if no cars within 500m.
parrots everywhere.
bliss.
though of course there is a bloody great big serpent in the garden.
Rico,

I had my surgery done at North Shore Private Hospital. Prior to the op, I was taking 200mg Stalevo every 3 hours up to 5 times a day and a 200mg Sinemet CR at night. Now I take 50 mg Sinemet 2 or 3 times a day. roughly 1000mg a day down to 100 to 150mg! A significant reduction. I suffered from rigidity as well, and it has virtually disappeared. One of the biggest improvements is quality of sleep. I used to wake just about every hour and would be lucky to sleep 3-4 hours a night. Now I can go to bed at 1pm, be asleep within 15-30 mins (Heaven!) and wake up at 5 am to go to work. I would say though, there are a few minor negatives from the surgery, mainly to do with speech. Speech volume hsa deccreased and due to excess saliva my words can be slurred, particularly later in the day. However, no regrets, it has allowed me to continue to work, hopefully until I reach retiring age. 6 years to go!

Regards,

ANdy
Hi Andy,

Wow, that is one hell of a reduction! Thanks for clarifying this question of mine. So much for some of the papers on DBS floating out there :wink:

"I used to wake just about every hour and would be lucky to sleep 3-4 hours a night. Now I can go to bed at 1pm, be asleep within 15-30 mins (Heaven!) and wake up at 5 am to go to work."
wow, 16 hours sleep! That is unbelievable! :grin:
Seriously though, 4 hours straight is a great improvement.

My memory betrays me but I think I read something about chewing gum to reduce the amount of saliva produced.

Best wishes,
rico
Yeah, I wish. That should have been 10pm, So 7 hours sleep.:grin:
7 hours straight - That's very good, in anyone's language!