Hello

My name is Clare. I’m 45 and as yet undiagnosed. I work full time as a midwife. I’m married and have three teenage boys, the youngest of whom has autism. I’m a crazy cat lady and currently have 4 fur babies. Photography is my new passion and keeps me sane.
My Parkinson’s journey began last year when I developed a tremor in my right hand. Two different neurologists agreed it was an essential tremor and started me on amitryptyline. I couldn’t tolerate the side effects of that and it was impacting on my ability to do my job so they switched me to Propanolol which I still currently take. Since that diagnosis, my symptoms have progressed quite significantly. I saw my neurologist again this week and he noted bradykinesia, cogwheel rigidity and micrographia as new symptoms confined to my right side only. I have all the classic symptoms now. As well as the tremor, my right shoulder has dropped, I don’t swing my right arm when I walk, I drag my right leg, I suffer terribly with pain in my right arm and leg particularly at night, I struggle to turn over in bed, I freeze mid activity because I can’t make my arm work anymore, I stop mid sentence because I can’t think of the word I need, and the insomnia and fatigue is killing me when I have to work 12 hour shifts. The neurologist hinted that we are now looking at Parkinson’s but wants me to have an MRI and a DaTscan before he will commit to a diagnosis.
So that’s me! I look forward to getting to know you all as my journey progresses .

Hi @Riss,

A warm welcome to the forum.

I’m sure you’ll receive some supportive comments from our forum members soon, however, in light of the information that you’ve shared, you may want to check out the 'newly diagnosed section on our website here, https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons. Although you haven’t been officially diagnosed with Parkinson’s, you may still find the information useful to you at this stage

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I’ll answer as best as I can. :blush:

Best wishes,
Reah - Forum Community Manager

Hi Clare, you sound like you have a very busy life apart from having all those symptoms. I gave 3 teenagers too and know how tiring that can be. Hopefully between your job and home life you find time to destress. Stress just adds to the symptoms.
Ive weakness on my right side and find that exercise helps. Im on 12mgs Ropinerol and just started co-careldopa 3xtimes a day. Hopefully the dat scan will reveal one way or another what’s going on.

1 Like