Hello

Hello

I’m just passed 60 and was diagnosed about three weeks before my birthday. I’d been having problems with dexterity in my right arm and had developed a limp that I couldn’t explain.

When the neurologist told me it was Parkinson’s it was actually a relief. My father died at 65 of Motor Neurone Disease and I’d been dreading that. As a friend put it it’s long term serious rather than short term terminal.

I’ve had lots of messages of support from long time not seen friends and the church I belong to in Reading have been fantastic.

I guess it’s early days yet. Biggest downside so far is that I had been looking forwards to a retirement of easy chairs and loafing about - instead of which I’m having to exercise! The upside is though that if I fall asleep in my easy chair I don’t feel guilty about it anymore.

Hi @Bloodaxe,

Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to engage on any other threads if you haven’t received any responses from any of our members. We also have a ‘newly diagnosed’ section on our website which has a lot of information and support to help you. You can find the page here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons

All the best,

Reah - Community Manager