Hello

Hello. My partner was diagnosed with Parkinson’s 9 years ago. He is really struggling to come to terms with the progressive nature of his condition, is very anxious and has low mood much of the time.He is now struggling to leave the house on his own (confidence is a big part of this) and admits to feeling scared when he is in the house on his own. His memory is becoming increasingly problematic and he has lost a lot of weight due to anxiety around drug uptake. He is very self conscious and becoming very isolated as a result. He becomes fixated on tiny things he wants to control because he can’t control the illness. Although we have been together for 13 years, we have never lived together because he has been unable to move on following the break-up of his marriage. We now have a situation of two houses (80 miles apart),my continued need to support myself financially ( I am quite a bit younger than him) and some very complex family dynamics. Selling both houses and moving in together now is becoming increasingly difficult to contemplate. I love him very much but he is definitely not the man I met and I am struggling to see a way forward at the moment.

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

If your partner feels self conscious, he might benefit from attending his local Parkinson’s group events, and for you to accompany him where your circumstances allow.

My local group, for example, has a weekly coffee morning, a monthly lunch, a yearly holiday, a shanty singing group, exercise classes, boxing classes, movement to music classes and other activities. Since everyone has Parkinson’s there is no reason to feel self conscious.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

We’re very sorry to hear this and we hope our friendly forum family can offer you some amazing advice. We’re also available should you need any guidance - do give our helpline a call on 0808 800 0303.

Hello dkn,
I haven’t been on the forum for a while but I saw your post and it sounded very similar. My partner was diagnosed in 2014 but looking back symptoms were showing in 2007. He also has dementia, officially diagnosed this year after me attempting to get listened to for over two years.
He is also anxious with a low mood. He can no longer drive, so is restricted and will only go out with me. He refuses to go to groups, even if it will give us all a break. Like your partner he becomes fixated on things. At the moment it is paperwork, constantly getting out and looking at it, putting it away…
I am 14 years younger than him, which never used to be a problem, now it seems to be a massive one. It is extremely difficult isn’t it, a horrible disease. Just know there are others on here who understand.

Thank you all. It is a real comfort to have contact with people who really understand what its like.