hello

just been diagnosed,im a little confused dont know what to do

Hi @biggy61, :wave:

A warm welcome to the Parkinson’s UK forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Finding out you have Parkinson’s affects everyone differently. Some people go through a range of emotions – from feeling overwhelmed to feeling relieved. I just want to reassure you that you are not alone and you have come to the right place for support.

We have a lot of helpful information on the Parkinson’s UK website specifically for people who have been newly diagnosed, including answers to commonly asked questions, a newly diagnosed guide which you can download and many other useful pieces of information. You can find this section here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons

We have a supportive and engaging community on the forum so I’m confident you’ll hear from other members who’s be happy to share their personal experiences with you. However, our helpline and Parkinson’s local advisers are here to answer any questions you have about your recent diagnosis and life with Parkinson’s. Please feel free to give us a call for free on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager

Hi, I’m also recently diagnosed so I completely understand the confusion you’re feeling at the moment. My advice would be not to feel pressured to ‘do’ anything.
Take time to let the diagnosis sink in-it comes as a huge shock and it is easy to panic and think that your life is over.
If you’ve been offered medication look into what it might do for you and balance that against any potential drawbacks.
Make sure you’re well informed but resist the temptation to google obsessively.
Personally I’ve decided against looking into what might happen in the later stages, not because I’m burying my head in the sand, but because I don’t want what might or might not happen to cloud the life I’m living now.
The people on this forum have really helped me by sharing their experience.

Best wishes,
Jgo

1 Like

Great advice @Jgo! :+1:

Hi @biggy61, The first rule of thumb is not to change your life style because you have the disease, this will materialise in its own way in the future. Live for now and be positive in your outlook on life, treat it like it doesn’t exist. Do contact your local GP Surgery to find out where your nearest Parkinsons Nurse is located, these i’ve found to be very reassuring and helpful in understanding what your going through. There are plenty of us on here all with differing forms of the disease but it doesn’t stop us from helping people such as yourself understand what you’re taking on.

Les

1 Like