Hi! My mothers partner was diagnosed with Vascular Parkinsons a few years back (and then only 'cos I rang his Dr to express my concern at her treating individual symptoms for a few years, all of which pointed to VP - but that's another story!!). He is now virtually housebound, falling 4-5 times a week, needs just about everything done for him and can't be left for more than a few hours. My Mum is 79, he is 76, and tbh, I am getting increasingly concerned for their welfare - particularly my mum, who, though remarkably good for her age, is worn to a frazzle. There seems to be no help available for them, and as I live 100 miles away,I feel useless. I'm hoping some one may be able to suggest where help, if available, can be found!

Hello Toggledog.

What have you tried so far? There is the help number top left of page, or has your mum made contact with the local PUK group who may have helpful contacts with welfare/social support. You mention the GP but not a neuro or PD nurse, if they have a PD nurse would it be possible for you to go to a meeting with them? If not (and obviously that's difficult for you) how would your mum take it if you tried to talk things through with her and made a list of the current problems that she could take to a meeting? I am in the very early stages of Parky, even so, I go to see the neuro and I sit on the train afterwards-- I didn't say this, I forgot that, I didn't like to mention...............

Good luck to you and yours. M

Hello Toggledag . My husband has Parkinsons he is 78 and I am 75 . married for 54 years .. I understand your worries/ concern for your parents especially your mother . Yes But love conquers.(sometime lol) . But it is hard tiring stressful /confusing etc ..

I hope they are seeing a consultant as well as GP , maybe even CARE OF THE ELDERLY WHO ALSO DEALS WITH PARKINSONS ..

Give the Social services a ring and ask if they could be accessed , you might find other doors open from there .

It is what I did and they supplied some aids on long term loan which have been helpful . Good luck

Hello Toggletag,

Welcome to the forum as you have already seen there is a lot of support on here.
Your Mum and her partner are entitled to an assessment of both of their needs and this is arranged through the social worker, they are the key to getting everything they need including as said before aids to assist them to lead the best life that they can. Social workers can also arrange day centre's if your mum's partner is willing to go and they can encourage them to enable your mum to have a rest.There are also organisations for carer's such as the Princess Royal trust or Crossroads, they can just sit with someone to give the carer a break or actually come in and help with washing and dressing, their fee various from which part of the country they live.
Are they getting attendance allowance if not they may be entitled to it, the CAB and Age Concern are very good at helping people with forms or directing them to the help they may need. If they were involved with one of the Services they have very good organisations to help and they have holiday at one of their hotels or homes some do not provide any care but you may be able to get an agency to call in and help so that your mum has a break but they would still be together.
If they need any grants for repairs or a wheelchair there are many charities and the Services which will help , also it is suprising who many professions have a welfare section that will help with things like wheelchairs.
Your Mum and her Partner may not need these things now but it is worth knowing about for the future.
best wishes

Thank you all for your responses:smile:. I'm sorry my first post was not so much a meet and greet but a moan. He sees a Parkinsons specialist about every six months, who, I believe has said that meds can do no more and are no longer effective. A Parkinsons nurse came twice, but has not been for several months and an occupational therapist came out a few times, and the few recommendations she could make have been implemented. I have left a message with her regional contact on here, and will take it from there, and try some of the other contacts you've mentioned. It's tricky, she sees actually asking for help as some sort of charity, yet when he had a support worker in for an hour a day for five days a few months ago after a fall, she so enjoyed the short break. It's crazy - he falls 4-5 times a week, and often in such a way that that she needs help - one last week was him falling out of the shower (the OT confirmed that no more adjustments can be made there), taking the cubicle door with him, and with him and the shower door jammed against the bathroom door so she couldn't get in. She called paramedics, as not only could she not get in, but had no idea if he was injured (thankfully no, but very shaken). The paramedics who have been each time (his more serious fall are about once a month) are lovely, but surely a cheaper and better option for everyone would be a support worker a few hours a week to help with such things. I'm sorry, I'm going into a rant:flushed:and my frustration is with 'the system' rather than any one body. Deep breath and count to ten!....Ok, ....Thank you again for the welcome and the suggestions, it is appreciated. I hope I'll be in a better frame of mind on my next post:laughing:

On a lighter note, I've just typed 'Social Services Devon' into a search engine (not Google), and it came up with the message 'Searches relating to the keywords have brought up results containing adult material. Please disable your security filter to view these sites'. :fearful: Good Lord - what goes on in Devon?!?!

"Social" services? fantastic!:grin: