Hello

Hi , my husband was diagnosed in June 2011 at the age of 52. I am still coming to terms with what this will mean to us as a family. He is still working, but is worried about how long he will be able to continue. I am looking for some advice not only for him but also for me about how PD progresses and what our future will be like
Hi Baf,

You have definitely come to the right place. There are alot of friendly people on here who will give advice and support. I am 51 and I was diagnosed 10 years ago. It is a shock receiving the diagnosis. PD is a very individual condition. It affects sufferers in different ways and at different rates. Hopefully your husband will be able to work for a long time. I still enjoy life and I took up yoga since being diagnosed and it has helped me alot. I have gained alot of advice, support and friendship from here.

All the best for 2012.

Jane
hiya baf,welcome to puk:smile:im ali i been dx for 11 years,im 42,workin with pd can be a strain ,but it depends on the type of job you do,i no many people with pd who still have remained workin,for many years to come:smile:also havin a lovin family around and freinds helps a awful lot as well,needin some body to talk to about anything.the forum gives out alot of surport,and aslo has a call line for either the pd sufferer ,who family member/carer.you can make many freinds on here,and have some fun to on the social thread.the future,well who nows our future,no one can predict it.i say live one day as it comes,and be happy with one another:smile:i some times look into the futre as far as pd is concerned,and see different things,it scared me at first,and yes i still do get scared of wot i read and see,but ive learned that we are all different,not one of us are the same,so i have worked with me pd now,i help run a pd group,and do lot of fundraisin,orgainzing it for the group and for puk.i wish you and hubby all the look in the world,and hope to see you around the forum x:smile:
Hi Baf

a warm welcome, and I am sorry to hear about your husband's Dx. Jane is right though this is a good site with lots of information.

I was diagnosed in March last year and am working full time as well as doing a degree in what spare time I generally don't have.( and constantly moaning about it as Jane will tell you).

There is a good, if different life with PD so best feet forwards and look forwards to a chat.x

Caroline
Hi
Like your husband I was 52 when dx and the principal breadwinner. I recognise your anxieties.

I guess some jobs are more manageable than others. Everyone's PD offers different challenges too.

I run a training consultancy business and 5 years on still work full time travelling around meeting groups of strangers and helping them learn new skills. The adjustments have been;getting an automatic car to make the driving easier, adjusting mentally to the fact that when i meet new people an early impression they get is my shakes and stumbles (I find ways to explain it in passing)and typing with one hand for all my admin work. Those notwithstanding I just get on with it and the business is still doing well.I enjoy it and think the demands it makes on me help keep me well physically and mentally. AS my own boss I refuse to let my employees (ie ME!)be stressed unneccessarily.

My husband now does more of the physical work around the house that we used to share; decorating, heavy gardening etc. Fortunately he is fit and well or we might have to pay for help with that.

I am one of the cranks on this forum who believe in complementary therapies and am on no meds at present. Happy to share my views on this but am not evangelical about it; traditional medicines are helping loads of people; you'll find your own solutions.

Good luck and best wishes
Hi Baf I am reasonably new to the forum but have found chatting to folks who know what it's like to live with PD refreshing as generaly don't have to explain how I got it etc.. and you will find plenty of people who are living happy lives despite their PD.

Everyone will tell you that PD effects everyone differently and progression is individual too, but if it's any consolation I've been dx for 4yrs and only medicated for the last 12 months. I work full time in a busy job, and although I have needed to make some adjustments my life goes on if slightly more complex.

Tell your O/H not to be to glum keep positive and enjoy your life as much as he can. Although I don't know your O/H particular employment a Government Scheme called 'Access to work' can help maintain employment by assessing for your particular support needs equipment etc and they will pay 50% of the cost your employer pays the other half, you can also get this if you are self employed. I have computer and other equipment plus dragon ( dictation device which types for me) plus other equipment it may be worth you having a chat with them. Hope this helps happy 2012 [::biggrin::
Thank you for all your support, when I first wrote I was definitely having a down day! It is so interesting that everyone has such different experiences of PD. I am particularly interested in any complimentary ideas as although he is on medication anything that could help his symptoms would be welcome.
hiya baf agin ,i find to help my sytoms is exercise.i was put on a fitness syem through the gp,at the local gym,a 3 month course,with one to one guideness.they are fully trained in ur conditon and needs,so no wot equipent is requited for you.you then choose if you would like to carry on there sfter 3 months,the person along with other members of staff are in the room,doin the same with other people,if help is requied.i found this helped me,strengh,and even my confident meetin other people.iam now startin a course over 10 weeks at birmingham of intensive therpy,which agin helps the body and mind.:smile:
Re complementary help a good start is the basic stuff; gentle exercise including balance and stretching (and must be something you enjoy of course), healthy food without lots of chemicals, do best to sleep well or at least rest if sleep is elusive. If you do these it's bound to do you good at some level; exercise is one of the best things for depression. (relevant to partners as well as PD people!)

My favourite source of advice at present is an Australian naturopath, John Coleman; himself living with PD. I don't think we can recommend books but google him and you'll find his website. I know a few people on this forum have taken some of his ideas on board as I have.

Lots of people mention yoga too. I'm a fan.

PD is usually a slow thing; no panic; time to explore what feels good and seems to help.
Best wishes