HELP. more info just diagnosed

Hi, my father is 77 and has recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons, my mother and all the family are a little confused about things currently as its all new to us, we have been asked what "type" of Parkinsons he has??? and also what symptoms are as a result or Parkinsons and which are just old age and wear and tear,,, he has little to no movement in his right arm/hand and also has a lot of pain in his knee, the biggest issue he is having is his balance? he feels like his head is "heavy" and struggles to make his feet do what his mind wants them to do, he has fell over a few times in the last 2/3 months and he is just wondering if there is anything to do to improve his balance (i have read a few posts about the wii and things like that im just thinking knowing him he isnt the most technical of minded 77 year old so might struggle with that) the main thing he wants to know is what he can do to keep it at bay? or to prevent himself getting any worse? just some advice from other Parkison sufferers is what we are all looking for so we can assure him he isnt going through this alone and there is still life to be lived with the symptoms he has? many thanks in advance

Hi Jonyon,

Welcome to the forum. It is understandable that you would all have lots of questions about Parkinson's after your Father's diagnosis. 

This forum is a great place to share experiences and find tips and information. We also have lots of information on our website, which might be helpful to have a read through, including this information sheet on falls

We also have a free and confidential Helpline, which is a great place to start if you want to talk to a Nurse about symptoms, find out more about support that's available, or just to talk things through. The Helpline number is 0808 800 0303 and is open from 9am - 7pm on weekdays, and 10am - 2pm on Saturdays.

Best wishes,

Joanne

(Digital team)  

Hi Joanne As you're father been put on any meds yet as these can help with the issues you are saying about