Help to get help?

Good Morning

Firstly, thank you for the support and advice just reading these forum threads have provided lately. What a wonderful group of people!

My mother is 62 and in the late stages of rapidly progressive Parkinson’s. Very sadly she does not respond to treatment for long or sometimes at all, although she has been brave enough to give everything a go!

In addition to severely restricted mobility, she is now suffering with increasingly severe symptoms of dementia. My father is retired and does a brilliant job of looking after her but I am worried it is getting too much and think they would both benefit from some extra help.

I was just wondering if it is likely whether we will receive any funding for this and whether it is worth doing a local authority care assessment? Any experience or advice you can share will be greatly appreciated!

Hi @Cate,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Your father may be entitled to carers allowance which is a form of funding available to carers who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone. However, your mum must be getting a qualifying benefit (Attendance Allowance, the Disability Living Allowancecare component at the middle or highest rate, either rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), or Armed Forces Independence Payment). We have more information on this here -

We also have a confidential helpline where you can speak to a trusted adviser who can offer you more support on this and more advise specifically tailored to your situation. Please feel free to give us a call on 0808 800 0303 or email us at [email protected].

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Forum Community Manager