Help us spread awareness about freezing as a symptom of Parkinson's!

The Parkinson’s community told us that freezing is one of their most distressing symptoms - yet one of the least known in the public. We launched a campaign to raise understanding of freezing and show the big impact Parkinson’s has on everyday life.

There are a wide range of techniques to help overcome freezing. One ‘cue’ to trigger your movement is the plan method… Stop, think, plan, do. For more information about freezing visit: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/freezing

Feel free to share your freezing tips below by commenting on this thread.

No real tips.
I have experienced freezing a few times. Always when stressed.
Frightening.

Hi @Hubby,

No worries if you don’t have any tips to give, the most important thing is that we raise awareness about freezing.

If you need more tips to help with freezing, don’t forget you can always visit our website here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/freezing

Do take care,
Reah

More of a question than a hint, I recall my mum saying she would freeze then start walking backwards. Only in later years did I wonder whether the walking backwards was a technique to move, or something her body just did. Anyone else had similar experiences?
Rose

1 Like

I had been diagnosed with PD for about 3 years and knew nothing about ‘freezing’. I felt good and went fon one of my regular walks. I may have walked faster than normal but not noticeable so. Halfway round my walk I suddenly stopped moving and could not move my feet.i started sweating and began to panic.i don’t know what happened but my feet suddenly started moving but they appeared to be running away from me and I had difficulty keeping up with them. I feared I was going to fall over. I was worried what people would think if they saw me. I set myself a target of a lamppost at a time and eventually got home. I was expecting some reaction or stiffness in my body so I lay on the floor. I cooled down but had no stiffness or other reaction.

Hi @prentonboy,

This must have been a scary experience for you, thankfully you were able to make your way back home safely. I’m sure the tip you shared will help other members on the forum so thank you for being so open and honest.

Best wishes,
Reah

When I get stressed or put under pressure I get what I can only describe as a shutdown or a full body and brain paralysis. I can barely walk or talk and I have to withdraw from the situation.
I can’t do confrontation. I can’t argue. I can’t stick up for myself any more.
I think people notice this and it makes me an easy target.
I have gone from someone who would always fight my corner to a pushover.
This is making me feel like I don’t want to have contact with anyone.
It is as if people can sense I have no defence. Almost an animal instinct.
Added to being extremely emotional I have become a defenceless wimp
I hate it.

Hi @Hubby,

It’s awful that you consider yourself to be a wimp. I, for one, strongly disagree with you, living with a condition like Parkinson’s takes great strength and courage. Freezing affects many people with Parkinson’s not only physically but mentally, however, this doesn’t make you a pushover in the slightest. If anyone thinks your an easy target due to your condition then shame on them.

Thanks for being brave enough to share your experience with freezing.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

Hi Rhea.
My strength and courage is in short supply today.
Physical pain is for me easier to handle than the mental torture.
It’s father’s day here in Spain and I am over thinking and over emotional.
I’m a wreck
Hubby

Hi @Hubby,

I’m really sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. I hope you are spending some quality time with your family on father’s day and please remember that you can always call our helpline if you’d like additional emotional support.

Please take care.

Best wishes,
Reah

I can identify wholly with this thread freezing being one of the symptoms Parkinson’s has gifted to me so generously. It is variable and I can relate to a lot of the Parkinson’s UK document on managing it etc. I wanted to comment specifically on a strategy that I sometimes use which the document doesn’t cover and that is say it like it is. I have related this incident somewhere on the forum so some of you may have read that. I couldn’t find it so this is a repeat. My friend and I were in a very small, crowded and busy souvenir shop in Norfolk classic feet freezing not to mention knocking things over territory. It did of course happen as I was coming through a dooŕway wide enough for single traffic only. As folk began to build up ì said sorry for keeping you I will move as soon as my Parkinson’s decides to oblige. There were general don’t worry taķe your time. Someone asked a question said I couldn’t take questions or we’d be here all day. Mý friend tooķ the questions I worked on moving and suddenly shot off to a spontaneous round of applause. I think I won that round not Parký?
PS crowd not essential for basic premise to worķ!!!

Hi what you describe sounds frightening and yet very familiar to me,

Gone is the man who would take most things in his stride (no pun intended) and take on anyone - in a reasonable and assertive way - not aggressive.

Who’s left?

Who’s in there?

Not someone I recognise. FRightened, isolated, depressed, hypervigilant and anxious, withdrawn and REDUCED to something I barely recognise as either my former self or as what I would consider to be a human being.

Turned Out Nice Again!

Take care

Gled