Help with carers in the southwest please

Hi all,

My dad has been suffering from Parkinson’s for over 7 years now. His condition is deteriorating badly. My mum is looking after him and I am 3 hours away and struggle to get down often to help out. I have been trying to come up with solutions and find care for him but I can’t seem to find anything that suits him. They live in the south west of England.
Part of the problem is they are very resistant to any help and think they can cope. They are just about getting by but won’t be able to do for much longer. He won’t want to move to a care home, so in-house care will be needed. The main issue he has is mobility - moving around the house, getting in and out of bed, going to the loo at night and getting changed.
Any advice on possible care solutions in the southwest or things to help with the above issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Bams,
Please allow us a moment to welcome you to our forum community. It’s a lovely group of people who always have some wisdom to share, some of whom are bound to introduce themselves soon. We’d also like to make sure you’re aware of the resources we provide, along with the forum. We have a website with research, articles, and archived forum threads. We also have a free and confidential helpline staffed with advisers who can help with everything from medication questions to finding local support, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. You can reach them at 0808 800 0303, so please do reach out if you have any questions unaddressed here.
All our best,
Jem
Forum Moderator

1 Like

Hi Bams,
I’m new to this forum but was searching today and came across your post. Your situation is so similar to mine, I’m wondering if you managed to make any progress with finding care options? I don’t even know where to start really.
Hope all is well.