Help with drugs please?!

My aunt was diagnosed with PD a few months ago and is really struggling.  She has always struggled with depression and anxiety but for some reason, has never been able to tolerate anti depressants for long as she says they make her feel worse. She usually tries them for about 1-2 weeks and gets so overwhelmed by this suicidal blackness, she stops taking them.  She has now started Senimet (spelling?) and is on 3 tablets a day. At first, she really improved and was walking faster, feeling better, but now she says she feels as though the internal tremor is getting worse and she feels that the drug is making her very sick.  Recently she's had a couple of meltdowns where she's been almost hysterical, saying the way the drug makes her feel is not worth it.

Because of her long history of depression and anxiety, for us it's hard to distinguish how much of this is PD and the drug stabilising her system and how much is really extreme anxiety.   It is very difficult to watch, feeling powerless to help.  We do not want her to stop the medication - but obviously she's experiencing quite some stressful side effects.   The doctor and PD nurse so far haven't really been much help - they almost seemed to imply 'that's just the way it is - deal with it'.Just wondering, is this normal?  Is there anything else we can do? Could the drug make an internal tremor feel worse?

Hi GranderGrace,

We are really sorry to hear that your Aunt is struggling and that you haven't had much help so far. This information sheet gives details of where to find information and support for depression: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/depression-and-parkinsons-information-sheet

You or your Aunt might also find it helpful to call our Helpline and speak to one of our Parkinson's nurses? Call free on 0808 800 0303, opening times: Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm

Best wishes,

Joanne

Digital team

GG,

I was told that the anti-depressant they put my Mum on would take about a month before she felt more positive.

I suppose as with all drugs some don't suit people, especially with whatever other drugs they are taking. (My Mum was on madopar and citalopram)

Anxiety can be part of PD, and so I guess if you already having an issue with anxiety then coping with it may be harder?

"that's just the way it is - deal with it!"  not very supportive....you could ask how they suggest you deal with it?

Supporting someone with anxiety is hard (been there -  done that - got the T-shirt!!) Watching and feeling helpless is not easy.  The PUK helpline nurse will hopefully have some more positive suggestions than "deal with it!"

Look after yourself

Keld

Keld, I thought this was a post for me as I have signed off as GG since 2010, but I realise that a new poster is using it too,

There is a consensus that the only safe anti-depressant to take with Levadopa is Mirtazipine.

Citalopram may interact with Madopar or Sinemet so be cautious...

I hope you find a solution GanderGrace.

GG ( original!)

Goldengirl

- apologies - I did read somewhere else on the forum a confusion that came out of your shared GG!! will use your full names from now on!!

Interesting to read what you said about Citalopram and Madopar....my Mum took both...maybe shouldn't have ...and maybe that is why she was still quite anxious!!

Keld

22/6/21
When I got the internet I started looking up the drugs I had been given. Then you start finding out all you had not been told. Breggin & Healy, as expert witnesses, had access to data about drug trials which the general public did not. When a family member tried to commit suicide after being given anti-emetics I had a genetic test done for cyp2d6.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/7810/smpc#gref
Sinemet 10 mg/100 mg Tablets] Organon Pharma (UK) Limited Last updated on emc: 12 May 2021
This information is intended for use by health professionals

4.4 Special warnings and precautions for use
All patients should be monitored carefully for the development of mental changes, depression with suicidal tendencies, and other serious antisocial behaviour.

4.8 Undesirable effects Nervous System/Psychiatric: [includes] depression with or without development of suicidal tendencies,

https://www.socialaudit.org.uk/58000-00.htm#Correspondence
Correspondence between Dr David Healy and the Medicines Control Agency
The correspondence began in late 1999 and mainly relates to Dr Healy’s concerns about the risk that fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline and other SSRIs may induce in a small but significant number of users suicidal feelings or acts, or extreme aggression towards others.

Suicidality, violence and mania caused by selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs): A review and analysis P. R. Breggin International Journal of Risk and Safety in Medicine, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 31-49, 2004

Soon after the introduction of the first selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), fluoxetine (Prozac) into the United States marketplace in January 1988, reports began to appear describing fluoxetine-induced violence against self and others.

In May 1990 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration required the manufacturer of Prozac, Eli Lilly and Company, to add “suicidal ideation” and “violent behaviors” to the Postintroduction Reports section of its label.

In 2003 the British Committee on the Safety of Medicines and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued warnings about increased rates of self-harm and suicidal behavior in children and youth under the age of 18 exposed to paroxetine (Paxil)

Drugs That Can Cause Depression, Agitation & Suicidality Author: RxISK Medical Team Last updated: 2018

In total there are 40,000 or more different trade named drugs in North America and Europe that can make you depressed, agitated or suicidal. Roughly 20% of the named drugs on the market in any one country may pose risks to you. Roughly 33% of us are taking one of them. The risk comes from the drug, not you.

Even though the depression, anxiety, or suicidality that you are experiencing is written into the label of the drug you are on, your doctor may completely deny that this is a possibility when it seems obvious to you.
Or just as bad, s/he may never point out to you that the symptoms you are having that you don’t connect to the drug, may in fact stem from this source.
S/he will instead likely add in more drugs which will almost certainly make the problem worse.