Help with sleep

Hi, after some much needed advice please, been on meds Sineemet CR for about 14 weeks, waiting for a confirmed diagnosis. I’m still really struggling to get more than three half hours sleep if I’m lucky during the night, doesn’t matter what time I go to bed, I wake after with either pain in shoulder, needing the loo again and am wide awake. I’ve just gone back to work and attempting to get back to a full time role which is proving difficult as I get so tierd come mid afternoon, I’m waiting for appointment review with my neurologist to discuss how the meds have helped but this doesn’t seem to have changed, any advice welcome, thank you

Hi @AnaElsa,

Thank you for your message. I am really sorry to hear you’re struggling to sleep, that must be really frustrating for you.

Others on the Forum will be able to share their experiences and advice, but in the meantime I would suggest getting in touch with our helpline on 0808 800 0303 or by emailing [email protected]. The service is made up of trained advisers, including Parkinson’s nurses who will be able to provide you with information and support so do give us a call. We are open Monday to Friday, 9am-7pm.

Best wishes,

Emily - moderation team

Hi AnaElsa, can’t help much really but I have come to understand that ‘insomnia’ is one of the symptoms of Parkinsons, I’ve had it 11 years now, and don’t get that much sleep, up at 4.10am this morning. Don’t get me wrong there ARE times when I can sleep all night, but they are few and far between i’m afraid. Unless you go down the the path of sleeping pills its one of the many symptoms of Parkinsons as I say. In fact there is a topic on this forum called ‘insomnia’ where folks can join in if they and when they are unable to sleep, and they have a natter, the PD nurse does’nt agree with it though :crazy_face: says it no good for you it will keep you awake more, but in fact it made me feel tired after a little while and went back to bed to sleep!
Welcome to Parkinsons and the Forum!! - sheffy

This helps me . I do a “bodyscan” where you tell yourself your feet are relaxed, moving on to the knees , then the waist, shoulders, elbows, hands, neck, mouth (open and move jaw side to side), face and then the back, buttocks, thighs , calves and finish with the feet again. At each stage I breathe in through the nose and release slowly.
Sometimes I lose concentration but it still helps.

1 Like

Thank you for replying, I’m not really a fan of any meds but to be honest wasn’t seeing any light at the end of the tunnel in May when I had the conversation with the neuro consultant, followed by the DAT scan then he told me he was going to start me on these meds to see how I respond. In all honesty feeling a lot more able, back in the zone and I can actually engage my brain now! Just sooooo exhausted, will have a look at the other pages, still finding my way around the forum, thank you again, take care :smile:

I have had similar difficulty for more than 2 or 3 hours sleep each night.

I have found 4mg of Melatonin in evening helps getting to sleep, albeit only effective for a few hours. It is a natural hormone so doesn’t cause much drowsiness following day. I combine this with 25mg of Amitriptyline taken at the same time which relaxes and prolongs sleep.

The benefits of above tend to wear off after several days , when I take 7.5mg of the popular and effective Zopiclone. However,y this can evidently become addictive so one should only take it every few days.

Hope above helps.