Here I am at last. .!

Hello everyone.  I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's since 2005 and, although I knew about this website from the begining , this is the first time that I have registered and posted anything.

My illness has been slow to deveop so far which means that, although my life has changed, I am still fairly able to do all the things I want to do.  However, I am slower and more prone to be hesitant when I walk; have lapses of memory; find it hard to concentrate and often live in a world of my own - especially when involved in one of my many hobbies.This has had an effect on my relationship with my husband. We are currently rubbing along OK together but things could be better. I know he feels excluded from my life but I can't work out how to remedy this. Maybe I'm blanking things out and using avoiding tactics without realising it. 

My diagnosis was made while I was still working for an international women's charity.  I am now retired and so  have time to indulge in the hobbies and activites that I enjoy.  These range from sewing, quilting and related craftwork to singing and playing in a samba band!  I have a dolls house that I made from a kit and am gradually filling it with victorian style furniture and fittings.  

I have been a 'joiner' all my life and this has given me some really good life experiences. In general I am a positive person but I have a wobble from time to time.  I attend my local Parkinson's Support Group and have made some good friends there. I am one of the management team that helps to run the group and I write and circulate the newsletter. Last September some of us went to an open afternoon at a Bowls club and as a result my husband and I have taken up the game. Doing something together may be the start of a better understanding eh?

Well, I have rambled on for long enough now. I am going to look at the rest of the Forum site.

Joiner, thank you for posting.  You are an inspiration.

Lily x

Hi Joiner

It is good to hear that you are still managing a full and busy life.

Just a thought, you don't say what meds you are on.

If you are talking a Dopamine Agonist this could be making you a bit compulsive with the hobbying and making your husband feel excluded.

If not, good luck with taking up a joint pastime!

GG