Hi, new to forum

Uk. Can someone help please. Dad is close to diagnosis and is seeing the Parkinson’s team tomorrow. He lives at home on his own and has balance and memory as well as organisational issues and violent nightmares. He is 80. He is recovering from a knee replacement and there are some urinary incontinence issues. He will be given up to six weeks support due to his knee replacement when he leaves hospital imminently. I live three hours away. What can the nhs give him at home to ensure his safety?as Parkinson’s is a complex disease does he qualify for free nhs continuing care? The house is set up with a stairlift, bathlift and handles as mum died from motor neurone disease some time ago. Thanks

Hi @Juno,

A warm welcome to the forum.

I’m sure you’ll receive some more warm welcomes and support from our lovely members soon, however, I just wanted to say hello! Also, we have an entire section on sleep on the Parkinson’s UK website which I think will be incredibly useful to you and your Dad. There’s a lot of information about different sleep issues and you can even download a PDF version if it helps to have this info in your hand. https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/sleep

We also have a team of highly trained advisers who you can speak to via our helpline. You can call our free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303 Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm and Saturday: 10am-2pm, but please note that it’s closed on Sundays and bank holidays.

Hope you find this information useful and do feel free to come back to us with any questions.

Best wishes,
Reah

Cant offer any help with the practical issues, but wish you good luck with your Dad.
Don’t know where you live, but locally we have a Carers Centre which offers advice on the issues you have raised above - might be worth asking your GP or local Citizens Advice if there is one close to you.

I have a neighbour who has carers three times a day going into her home to make sure she is up and eating etc. I hope you have had some information about this by now but the GP seems to be the first person to ask