hi

hi , well I am a son (51) and I am trying to look after my mother with PD but I some times find it difficult as she has always been a depressive personality and with PD its getting worse and I some times get angry with her as she sometimes goes off and, I try to stay nutrual but it difficult and I fear it will get worse as she gets older and I don’t know how I can keep something positive in my mind as it feels like I am in a house of negative posion and mental I struggle and I know my father trys to keep calm but he also gets angry as well, I feel like I am stuck and I cannot see a way out , I know most of use has tthis problem , maybe I am just letting off steam

thank you for reading this

Hi Heartford. Sorry to hear about your mother’s condition and your situation - it sounds like a very difficult time for you at the moment.

It may help to look at our website, where you’ll find lots of information and advice for carer’s of Parkinson’s patients: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/caring-someone-parkinsons

You might also like to try getting in touch with our Helpline, who are able to offer advice and support on a wide range of Parkinson’s-related subjects. You can reach them by email at [email protected], or call them FREE on 0808 800 0303. They’re available on Monday-Friday from 9am-7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Heartford, I’m so sorry to hear about your problem with your mother. Mine is quite weak too in personality and she wears me out daily because I can feel her sucking my energy out of me. It’s very hard to stay controlled and be patient and loving.
It is my experience as the full time carer to my mother that PD somehow brings out the worst in a patient’s personality. For example: my mother has always been weak, unable to take responsibility, and been depressive…now the PD seems to enhance these symptoms in her and make them worse.
Patience is hard when someone is PD depressive, or PD argumentative, or just PD…and I would say that you have to know that even though you know your old mother as she was and accepted her character/personality as it was, unfortunately this mother with the enhanced character/personality is your mother too and although it is so very hard to relate to you must come to accept this is the PD in her. My mother now has other symptoms too as she is late Stage 3, and unfortunately dementia has occurred which means her memory of past life is great but daily life is difficult. At the moment despite so much upheaval for her and me with ‘‘mind occupied games’’ I’m sad to watch her deteriorating in front of me. I steer clear of unhappy thoughts/situations and try to keep her motivated, interested and positive. I don’t always succeed … ! Mum is also stubborn and strong willed!
You are an amazing person for giving her your time and care at this time. I hope you find level ground with your situation. Hobbies help…reading…you can escape…and if you go out even better. My prayers are with you both.