Holiday Insurance

Thinking of taking a holiday in the new year, this will be the first since my diagnosis. Does anybody know if the insurance companies add a large premium because of Parkinson’s. Any suggestions on specific insurers offering the best deals for Parkies would also be gratefully received

thanks

My husband did this for us using moneysupermarket.com which has an option to tick if you have a pre-existing medical condition. It then asks a standard set of questions about your condition, symptoms and/or disabilities. I was only diagnosed last summer and my symptoms are quite mild so for us the premium didn't go up at all. The insurer we ended up with was insurefour.com but it seemed to be much cheaper to go through moneysupermarket.com rather than directly.

Thanks, thats useful information

Hi Wildrover,

It’s great that you’re planning to go on holiday.

Regarding your insurance cover; we advise that you always check the level of cover a policy offers. We have an entire section on the Parkinson’s UK website that provides information on how to plan holidays and travel for those affected by Parkinson’s. Hopefully this will give you all the answers you need in preparation for your holiday, however, please ping us a quick message if you have any further questions.

You can find the information here.

Please let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,
Reah

Hi Reah,

thanks for that. One thing I did forget about is vaccinations. I am planning to go to the Dominican Republic so will need a course of anti malaria tablets, not sure how these will affect my current meds. Would the Parkinson’s nurse be the best one to talk to or my doctor ? Got doubts about my doctor having sufficient knowledge in this area and the last thing i want is to go ahead and see what happens!!,

Hi Wildrover,

No problem at all.

Dominican Republic sounds like a great choice for your next holiday destination, especially if you want to top up on some sun. If you want more information on medication related questions, please feel free to contact Parkinson’s nurses on our helpline at 0808 800 0303. If you contact them today or tomorrow you should get a response within 24 hours.

I hope that helps with your query.

Many thanks,
Reah

i frequenly go abroad on hoiday. When i was first diagnosed I rang my insurance company Ensleigh. i was asked a couple of questions nothibg too mind bltowing…,.they then added a prremiium of…2op yes 20 pence. Later we opened a bank account with Barclays(premium account) that had annual trave insurance included. I told them about myPD immediately there were no penalties as long as i told them a of any changes…the compnany barclays ues is Aviva
HOPE THIS IS USEFUL