Home poor at providing video calls to Mum

Hi, now visiting has been stopped again to see Mum in her nursing home we are allowed 1 video call. My Mum has little communication/mobility and is bed ridden.Mum does not seem to understand the video call so they are very difficult to see Mum and we can’t be there for her.
The nursing home I cannot fault for their level of care but doing the video calls they have been very poor and added to our distress.They don’t phone when they say or at all, we have complained numerous times and it improves for a while but then back to how it was.
I can understand they may not always be able to do it at the time agreed but when it’s the same problem every time. It’s all Mum has to hear our voices and it feels like we are powerless with the home having control. We even provided a mobile phone that they could use and asked if they could send the odd photo or picture but nothing. With Mum having very limited communication, when we have the video call, it can be at that time we get nothing from Mum and that is the image and memory we have to take into the next week.
I just wondered if anyone else was having similar problems?

Dear @snowpatrol1,
I’m so sorry to hear about your experiences in staying in touch with your Mum in her nursing home during lockdown. Video calls have become increasingly useful in helping us keep in touch with loved ones, but it sounds like your Mum’s nursing home is struggling to manage this in a reliable and meaningful way.

Our Helpline and Local Adviser Service can help provide support and talk through your options in helping to resolve the situation and taking your complaint further if necessary.

For example in addition to complaining to the nursing home again, if the situation is not improving you can also take your complaint to the regulatory body for care in your part of the UK…

The Care Quality Commission (England)
The Care Inspectorate (Scotland)
Care Inspectorate Wales
The Regulatory and Quality Improvement Authority (Northern Ireland)

You can call the helpline on 0808 800 0303
Opening times are Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm
or you can also email us at [email protected]

Best Wishes,
David
Forum Moderation Team