Hospitalisation, Antibiotics and Parkinsons

I was recently hospitalised after a fall where a chest infection was diagnosed and I was treated with Co Amoxiclav. Either the infection or the antibiotic caused my Parkinson’s medication to stop working and I was kept in hospital because I had zero mobility. The doctors wanted to discharge me to a rehab facility, but my wife argued that it would be pointless if my Sinemet Plus and Requip were not working and I was discharged home to her care. Whilst in hospital I lost 6lb in weight because I could not manage to eat my food and the plate was just taken away, I was dehydrated because I was not able to pour or drink the water and they got the dosages and timings of my medication wrong. I know we are in the midst of a pandemic, but I have heard that these things happen to other Parkinson’s patients in hospital. Has anyone else had these problems and does anyone know where I can find out which antibiotics won’t affect Parkinson’s meds?

Hi @JHF

Welcome back to the forum. It’s good to see you posting again.

I’m sorry to hear about your fall and hospital stay. I’m sure others will be sharing their own thoughts and experiences with you soon.

However, I would strongly recommend that you speak to your GP with any questions about medication. Don’t forget if you’d like to speak to a Parkinson’s nurse, an adviser from our help desk can arrange this for you. Please feel free to give them a call on 0808 300 0303.

Best wishes,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Sorry to tell you being unwell and having any antibiotics will knock your control of Parkinson’s.
I was admitted in the summer for 21/2 weeks and they constantly got my medication wrong dose and wrong time.
It’s very depressing that hospital knowledge of Parkinson’s is still no better after all this time

Thank you for your replies Janice and Jan4, I am gradually getting my mobility back, but it has been a very stressful time for myself and my wife. My wife was unable to visit the hospital and had to worry at home and phone doctors and Parkinson’s nurses to get the reason for my immobility across to them, I know that NHS resources are stretched, but I feel that dealing with the challenges of nursing people with neurological disorders should be part of basic training. I already know by painful experience that Stemetil, an anti emetic, and anti histamines can prevent Parkinson’s meds being absorbed, but it would be useful to have a complete list of medications to avoid.

Hi
I’m new to the forum and was astonished at the sort of information you an get from everyone.
However my partner was diagnosed in 2014 and in 2018 had a knee replacement. Although the hospital had written ‘Parkinsons’ all over his medical notes on admission his medication was always given late or forgotten. The operation was a success but the morphine gave him hallucinations and the strong pain killers like Co-codamol caused constipation which as you know must be avoided with P.D. Unfortunately so much so the day after he came home he was taken to our local general hospital with severe constipation in very much pain and very
embarrassing. Obviously after all this he would only take paracetamol which of course would not be strong enough after the operation.
Unfortunately he is now due to go and have the other knee replaced he has no option .We are now nearly 3 years down the line the PD has progressed quite badly , he is on a lot more medication now relating to his age 76 and I am worried about the hospital admission. My main concern is whether or not anyone else on the Forum has had 2 knee replacements and how they got on with it . We were told he would probably fall over quite a lot which is very worrying as his balance isnt very good without all the other things that PD brings him cramp, restless legs, unable to sleep.to name just a few of his symptoms. To this day he will not take anything stronger than paracetamol.
Please let me know if you have had 2 replacements or know anyone with PD how they got on.
Many thanks

This must is very distressing for you Karlitza, the fact that you cannot trust the hospitals still after all these years failing to give anyone with Parkinsons their medication on time or worse still forgetting to give it to them at all. You didn’t say if OH has a positive date and time at the moment, the operation might not take place for a little while yet due to Covid, but I would be inclined to speak to the Parkinsons Nurse about your concerns and she may help you with answers and put something in place when for when OH goes into hospital for the op. She may even be able to co-erse with the hospital regularly to monitor medication. It’s worth a try, or she might be able to put you in contact with some other organisation
involved in caring. I am fortunate not to have had this experience (hospitalisation) so I can just feel for you to have all this worry and uncertainty on your mind, so can just suggest this to try if no one else replies with any other advice. The so called hospital should have been reported at the time of the first incident , especially as they were not under pressure with Covid problems as they are now, this is disgusting. I hope you can get some satisfaction from phoning the Parky Nurse - sheffy xx

Thank you Sheffy.
It is a worry as I do not know how he will cope, I will contact the Parkinsons nurse as she may know someone who has had two replacements . If he goes ahead we are lucky to be able to use a private insurance and the hospital he will have the operation is a local small private one so contacting them would be easier than a big general hospital .However I shouldnt have to ring constantly to make sure they have given him his meds it is their duty of care.
Thank you once again for taking the time to reply to me.
Regards
Karlitza.

Hello
My husband has had both knees replaced and has Parkinson’s. Infact he had both of his knees replaced at the same time. The problems are always the same in hospital with the hospitals seeming unable to give Parkinson’s medication on-time. Previously my husband has complained whilst still an inpatient to the hospital PALS team which has worked. Also whenever he has been admitted I usually write on the whiteboard behind his bed Has Parkinson’s - ENSURE MEDICATION GIVEN ON TIME. His last inpatient stay at OXford Orthopeadic Centre a world renowned establishment was no better. He just had to make (what he felt) was a nuisance of himself and start pressing his call button 5 mins before each medication time to remind the staff snd bring someone to his bedside.
That aside with regard to the knee replacements the imperative thing was being able to do the physiotherapy to ensure mobility was regained this meant taking stronger painkillers with the addition of laxatives. If the pain is not controlled the exercises won’t be achieved and mobility will not be regained.
Incidentally Morphine also caused my husband major problems with hallucinations he now has it written all over his records not to be given to him. I wish your husband all the very best and hope his second knee is very successful in keeping him mobile - Jane

I think there’s only a couple of antibiotics that people with parkinsons medication can take.I would check which ones if your husband as got to take antibiotics again.all the best

Thank you for getting back . Can you tell me has your husband had any falls since having had both knees done which is my husbands main concern. Thank you for mentioning the morphine as I know last time he had bad hallucinations in the hospital so I will mention it to them. He is a very stubborn person regarding painkillers and as much as I tell him to take laxatives along side them he is always hesitant.At the moment though I have other problems with his sleep or lack of it should I say and he gets very angry .So at the moment things are pretty miserable alongside being stuck in thanks to Covid 19.-Karlitza

Hi Gus,
Thank you for info. I must admit whenever my husband has to have any meds other than the parkinsons I always check with the Doctors that they are safe to take with PD-Karlitza

Hello, no my husband did not have any falls from having both of his knees replaced. They were replaced originally some 9 years ago. Sadly unrelated he contracted Sepsis twice in 2018 which has caused endless problems.
However back to knees my opinion based on my husbands experiences would be the sooner he undergoes this operation and regains his best mobility the better. Keeping mobile to their best ability is key . One last comment my husband was firmly told (post operation) that painkillers were a necessity to ensure the ability to complete physios exercises and regain mobility, without them it impedes the ability to exercise back to full mobility. All the best, I wish you both well. Jane

Hiya

Many thanks for your reply. I will pass on to my husband.
Take care .
Regards
Karlitza