How do you move out of denial?

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had any advice? My Mum was diagnosed with Parkinsons about 11 years ago. Initially, I accepted it, but as the years have passed and her symptoms have got worse, I think I have slipped back into denial. When I am with her, I do my best to be supportive - not rushing her, helping with practical stuff etc but I really struggle when she gets emotional. I don't know what to say or do, and its made me feel like the absolute worse daughter and (I'm really ashamed to say this), sometimes I find reasons why not to see her because I struggle so much to see her struggle. Has anyone else found this, and how do I get strong enough to stop being selfish and put Mum first?

Thanks

Louise.

Hello Louise

Please don't take it out on yourself, the emotional side of parkinsons can be very frustrating, mostly it is because you don't want to be a burden on anyone, and the fact that you want so much to do things for yourself no matter how hard you try it doesn't happen. Just be there for your mum when she is like this, you don't have to speak if you don't want to, just be there as a shoulder to cry on, it can make so much difference.You seem to be a very caring person to look after your mum

All the very best  Sheila