How long does it take madopar to start working?

Just been started on a low dosage of madopar for one week, then increasing until I take 3 62.5 mg a day. This is my fifth day on one tablet, nothing seems to have improved symptom wise. I know I shouldn’t be impatient but I would really appreciate hearing what others have experienced while taking this drug. I suppose I am looking for reassurance. Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Hi Boomerang,
You’re sure to get some responses from our wise and supportive community soon, as Madopar/Levodopa is a common topic of discussion here. Here is some basic information, and you can link out from that page to find lots of info around this medication, including archived Forum threads. And don’t hesitate to call us at 0808 800 0303 if you’d like to have a phone chat with an adviser. It’s free and confidential, of course, and the people you’ll speak to are wonderfully knowledgeable.
Best of luck in your research, and our best wishes in all things,
Jason
Moderation Team

Hi, you wil find that everyone seems to be on different meds, so it was interesting to read someone who is on the same regime as me. I was started on Madopar 62.5 3 times a day for a week increasing each week until 250 3 times a day. It took until week 6 to see any effect (handwriting improvement) so dont necessarily expect quick changes, although I understand some folk do. After a couple of months i experienced side effects - i thought it was dystonia but the consultant says it is Dyskenesia, twitching leg muscles and clenching toes on my affected side. This occurs at anytime, so doesmt seems to be related to dosage timing.

It is fitting, in this manner, to permit a little while to pass prior to mulling over measurements increases over the normal portion range.

Thanks for responses. I suppose I need some reassurance because since I started taking Madopar two weeks ago my symptoms seem to be getting worse. I have to increase dosage until I reach 125mg three times daily. I am wondering if meds will help with stiffness and foot tightening. Is the improvement gradual? I am getting practically no sleep because of discomfort and am thinking of going down the diazepam route as it is a muscle relaxant. Right now I am exhausted and don’t even have the energy to mow the lawn.

Hi in my experience it did take some time for the levadopa to make a difference When it did I had eleven good years with this medication, managing to function near normal.

Hope everything starts working for you soon.

that is very encouraging news. Thanks for posting.