Hubby in denial!

I’ve been diagnosed with Parkinson’s for about 6 weeks now. I knew something was wrong with me last September. Before seeing the Consultant I had tried to warn my husband. When it was confirmed h e still didn’t seem to take it in somehow. Has anyone else experienced a reaction like this with a partner?

Until I got a diagnosis, my husband would not believe anything was wrong with me. I found that very frustrating. But after I got a diagnosis, his attitude changed and he has been very supportive ever since.

Did your husband accompany you to the consultation? If not, it might help if he does so next time.

Hi Caz1,

What we hear is that there are lots of different reactions to a Parkinson’s diagnosis, both from the person with the diagnosis and their friends and family. You say your husband doesn’t seem to be taking it in, this must be difficult for you.

If it helps, we have information on our website for the family of those diagnosed: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/support-family-and-friends

You or your husband could also call our friendly helpline to chat about how either of you is feeling.

Hope you’re able to talk with him soon about your diagnosis.

Best wishes, Charlotte - moderation team

Hi @Caz1, :wave:

Welcome to the forum.

I’m glad to see that you’ve received some good advice from some of your fellow members - I hope you’ve taken their wise words on board.

I just wanted to add my two pence and tell you that we have a ‘Newly diagnosed’ section on the Parkinson’s UK website which has a lot of helpful information that’ll useful to both you and your hubby. You can find this information here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons

Our helpline and Parkinson’s local advisers are here to answer any questions you have about your husband’s recent diagnosis and life with Parkinson’s. Call us on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager

May I also add my recommendation to consult the PUK newly diagnosed page. It is excellent. We find that in our centre that acceptance is often the hardest part of Parkinson’s. For BOTH the person diagnosed and the family. Don’t push the subject. It will come to the surface on it’s own. M.J.Fox stated that aceptance is nothing more than accepting what is…IS! There is time, you are not dying (well you are but not from Parkinson’s) and you have a full life ahead of you. I have Parkinson’s for 15 years, and understand your predicament. He needs to understand that he will not loose you, things wil gradually change but one thing stays constant. He is your husband!
Alex

1 Like

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your advice and thoughts. Because of Covid rules my hubby couldn’t see the Consultant with me. I think if he had it might have helped.
I’m hoping that as time goes on he will accept the situation.