Husband 50 newly diagnosed

Hi,

I’m new here so please bare with. I don’t really know where to start as It’s not me but my husband that’s been diagnosed.

We have a young child and im nearly 20 years younger.

I have tried to put the diagnoses to the back of my mind and tell myself this won’t affect us for sometime, but I’m just being stupid.

He’s under an enormous amount of pressure with his job as well as being the main bread winner. I just don’t know what to do! His consultant is a waste of time and the most unhelpful person I have ever had dealings with.

I worry for him massively as ‘the PIP System’ is tough but he can’t go on as he is!

I literally don’t know what I can do to help him!

Hi
Sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis.
I myself was only diagnosed recently. Exercise, cycling, yoga, and a positive,almost stubborn attitude will go a long way towards coming to terms with pd

Limpy

hi have you tried the helpline number really good place to start they will be able to put you in touch with a pd nurse in your area i think it,s vital you get pd nurse so help is always available try not to worry too much as once you get help things become clearer tho. i have to say like us all on here problems don,t just dissapear but you will find help and support here keep posative attitude
Petec

Hi Lmf2010,
It’s a scary time for you and your husband. Try your best to keep the lines of communication open as sometimes the person with PD can retreat into themselves or try to ignore whats happening. It also takes a while to sink in. Try to think that you are a family LIVING with Parkinsons. Some things change but not as quick as you think. I totally agree with the above advice, a PD nurse is essential as they are a wealth of knowledge. Exercise in some capacity. Destress! Maybe your husbands work/ life balance will have to change. Take things slowly though. Hes very lucky to have a supportive partner like you in his corner.

Hi @Lmf2010,

Welcome to the forum.

I can appreciate how much of a shock your husband’s Parkinson’s diagnoses must be for you and your family. With regard to your financial concerns, we have an entire PIP section on our website which answers many commonly asked questions, particularly for newly diagnosed people with Parkinson’s. In addition to this, we have a ‘newly diagnosed’ and ‘financial help and support for carers’ sections on the website that you may want to explore.

Lastly, I strongly recommend that you contact our helpline service and speak to one of our trained advisers who can offer you and your husband more help and support and can even arrange for a Parkinson’s nurse to contact you within 24 hours.

I hope you find the above information useful and do keep us posted on your situation.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi im Keith
My wife went through what you are going through
So did my kids although they are grown
You both have to fight this head on

Regards to your consultant , you can go to another thats your right, , ive found that even doctors can be unhelpfull , you have to find the right one

I didnt like my first consultant , he made me feel like it was my fault i had this condition, but the one i have now is amazing ,

Your husband only wants you to understand, being there for him and at his pace
Get him to come on here,
On here will get no pity no sorries

I never wanted pity or sympathy
I even take the micky out myself ,
My sons call me awkright because of the stutter ive developed , and with my hand tremors i make a mean martini shaken not stired

If he wants to chat with me im here for him
So till then
Take care
God bless
Keith

Truth to tell, I am not sure what to say - but be strong and long in patience and understanding in dealing with your husband.
God bless,
Maki