Husband doubly incontinent

My husband (84) is stage 4 Parkinson’s and doubly incontinent. He wears disposable pull-ups but I’m having to change these 4 or 5 times a day now. How do people cope with this?

1 Like

I am not experiencing the same situation with my wife
She does have daily problems with little control over her bowls.
It’s both limiting and frustrating and is creating a very small world within our home.
As her Parkinson’s increasingly takes hold her bowl issues have increased and appear without any way to reduce ?
I do hope you have some help with your husbands need :couple_with_heart_woman_man:

1 Like

Hi - I too am dealing with double incontinence and end up changing my 84 yo father at least 10 times over 24 hours plus cleaning him up each time. He wears disposable pull-ups. And this makes us housebound. It makes me so angry and frustrated. I am also worried that if he strains too much then he will need to have the small intestine pop out and chopped (again) and so carefully control his diet and water intake.

But why does no-one talk about this issue, not even Parkinson’s UK ?? The local bowel and bladder service only go so far as dispensing max x3 disposable pants per day. His neurology consultant passes it off to the bowel and bladder service and doesn’t want to know/care when this is the result of PD. I don’t see any external carers willing to do this type of service!

Has anyone invented a robot or automatic water spout to clean the bum that can be attached to the toilet - if anyone knows please please tell me :pray: Or any other solutions?

Sorry for the rant but having done this for 24 hours a day 365 days a year from 2020 onwards…end of my tether

Hi everyone - I am new to this forum, but have been reading about the trouble some people are having with incontinence with their Parkinson’s. My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson’s about five years ago, and this year he has gradually become incontinent. It started just at night as he couldn’t get out of bed quickly enough, but now it is all the time and he has to wear disposable pads 24/7. His walking is getting worse - he is bent over and very slow, so getting to the toilet has been a constant problem. We got in touch with our Parkinson’s nurse who suggested going on to decaffeinated tea and coffee but that didn’t seem to make any difference. We got through to our doctor’s surgery (miracle!) and she prescribed some pills called Betmiga, mirabegron 25mg, which he has been taking for over a month now but nothing seems to make any difference. He also has bowel trouble as a few years ago he had some of his bowel removed because of a hernia, so when he needs to go, it just happens. I’m getting desperate now, as washing bedding an clothes is a bit if a chore and pads are not cheap. I have mobility problems myself, and neither of us are spring chickens! Any advice anyone can give me will be so welcome. Thanks.

Hello CheerfulDoc you asked if a device had been invented to help you manage your father’s continence problems well there is and have been around a long time. It is a combined wc/bidet which can either replace your existing wc or be supplied as an electronic toilet seat which replaces the existing toilet seat. They give a warm water wash followed by a drier in much the same way as a hand drier in public toilets work.
I have an electronic bidet seat and wouldn’t be without it. They have come down in price in recent years but are not cheap. If you contact your local council for an assessment by an occupational therapist who can recommend this it should be covered by a DFG (Disabled Facilities Grant). Most companies can bring out a working model so that you can see how they work, You may want to look into this a bit more.

Tot