I'm about to do battle with Parkinson's

Hello everyone!

I’m a 70 year old retired graphic designer, living in Blackburn UK and a new member of this forum.

I’m just starting out on my journey of bodily repair, having just recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s. I now look back at probably around ten years of struggling with my health. My GP has tried to find the cause of my many symptoms over the last two years, finally coming to the conclusion that it must be Parkinson’s, by a process of elimination. He finally referred me to a neurologist but with a nine month waiting list there was no hope of a rapid final verdict! While waiting, I consulted a naturopath then a hypnotherepist, on the belief my symptoms might just be stress and anxiety based, rather than Parkinson’s. Neither of these two approaches really helped. Then the day arrived for the neurologist’s verdict -“Parkinson’s!” It wasn’t really a surprise since I had long realized that my list of symptoms matched all those listed on various Parkinson’s web sites as being typical Parkinson’s markers. Having it confirmed, helped actually. Now I knew the enemy, and now I could build a battle plan!

Study can be a great defence against fear (of what’s in store), even when presented with the doom-and-gloom symptoms of the latter stages of the disease. I am scared of sliding down the slippery-slope, as the condition advances - but; I also find stories of others who have apparently held their ground against the disease. Some seem to found a way of reversing out of the grip of Parkinson’s altogether. Dare I hope to have what it takes to do battle with Parkinson’s, and win? Time will tell!

I’m not happy to let my GP or neurologist dole-out medications to ‘control’ the symptoms but I do initially see the benefit of starting with Benildopa to bring some immediate relief from the most difficult symptoms but I plan on following the ‘alternative therapies’ rouit even though I know the neurologist only believes the standard medical approach is right. Ultimately it’s my choice. I trust my way is the right one to follow but I hope that one day he doesn’t turn out to be right!

Good Luck friend.
We’re all with you.
You are not alone.

Hello Borg3of21. Welcome to the forum. If its any help my initial dose of Benildopa relieved my hand shaking and now you can hardly notice it (unless I’m trying to use a screwdriver).
It is very much your choice and I wish you well in your battle.

Thanks for the welcoming words malcT
I’m on Benildopa three times a day and it seems to have substantially lessoned my tremors but it has done nothing to lesson my aching legs. I have added in macuna prurines but seem to find this makes me feel anxious and nerves all ‘jittery’. I wonder if anyone else is affected this way by mucuna?

I’m in Burnley and I would say, pay for another neurologist outside the area. I’ve lost complete fail in east Lancashire’s neurologist as I’ve been under one for two year with no diagnosis

Since December 2017, I started to suspect it was Parkinson’s and getting a second option confirmed what I thought. What’s funny is myself and the wife used to joke it was Parkinson’s even though it’s not that funny in reality, but you have to laugh at yourself to keep sane

Keep fighting buddy if you think it’s PD. Also try to keep as active as possible as you can. I have youth on my side which has helped me take advantage of using the vigorous exercise option which has really works for me. It’s taken me over a year to get to the level I’m at now from just walking round the block at the start to running upto 40k a week.

Now I’m not saying start running, but even walking to start will make a change to the way you feel until you get another diagnosis as it seems that anything that raise the heart beat helps you

I cannot give you any advice on medication though as I’m just at the beginning of this journey having only been diagnosed around a month ago

Hi Shane
Getting a formal diagnosis may be a somewhat pointless exercise, in my opinion. It’s not like it can lead to a cure so I think it’s probably best just to treat the symptoms as they arise and forget the bigger picture.

1 Like