I'm new here

Back around 2000 I had a really bad cold after which a few of my work colleagues commented that I was sniffing a lot. Weeks later I told them I felt as though my sinuses were badly blocked behind my nose/eye socket area.

In 2005 I noticed that I was experiencing a strange nasal smell like gear oil or grease. At the same time I lost most of my sense of smell. I had no idea what this was.

In 2015 I started to notice a tiny shake in my right hand. At the time I put this down to excessive use of a drug called trifluoperazine for the treatment of anxiety caused by PTSD from a motorcycle accident when I was 18 years old.

In 2021 I was diagnosed with full blown Parkinson’s Disease and since then have been taking 25/100 Sinemet Plus. I am still allowed to drive but my licence is currently restricted to a three year review. I have mobility issues due to the motorbike accident and have to use crutches to walk due to severe osteoarthritis.

For 27 years I worked in laboratories as a safety analyst often working on substances such as organophosphate pesticides and herbicides. My hobbies included photography which for many decades involved the use of fairly toxic substances. I guess any of these may have contributed.

I am currently 64 years old and as active as I can be. I do not currently work. I love music/hi-fi and have a partner Susan who does her best for me. I love travelling/driving as without this photography would be almost impossible.

Thank you for allowing me into your online environment. I hope I find it very useful and I hope I can contribute.

Hello TheChemicalBrother and welcome to the forum.
Everyone is welcome here whatever their connection to Parkinson’s. It sounds like you’ve had an interesting working life and have some interesting hobbies and it sounds like your Parkinson’s took a while to develop as is the case with many of us.
The forum is a place where you can ask any questions or concerns you may have safe in the knowledge that you won’t be judged and that you will be talking to people who understand. The forum is more than that however - there’s quite a lot of ,fun stuff too so have a good look around
I hope you will feel able to post a comment or air a view to something on the forum because your contribution is as valid as anyone else’s - but there is no pressure to do this. it can be a bit unnerving when you are new to it - have I done it right, what will people think etc and it can make you feel a bit vulnerable… You can however, make a real difference to someone just by showing your support and understanding. so do give it a go when you feel ready.
Once again welocome and hope to hear from you again some time.
Tot

Thank you so much for your reply and comments. With regard to your comment about the time taken to develop the symptoms, yes, it took a long time. In fact it was so long I was convinced I had drug induced Parkinson’s for a year or so due to the anxiety meds. Oh well, it wasn’t to be. Like all of you here I now have to learn to cope with this condition. Lots of love and best wishes to you all.

Hello TheChemicalBrother,

Welcome to the forum. I am new here myself and have been reading through some of the posts, there is a lot of information and positivity on here which I think we all need at sometime.

I look forward to reading posts from you when you’re ready to write some.

Take care

Regarding PD and hobbies, I listen to lots of music, I have been involved with photography since I was 10 years and love strumming guitar quite a bit. PD so far hasn’t stopped me from doing any of these things. Intricate guitar playing is of course a thing of the past and so is playing percussion which I used to love. I just move on and accept. These is no point in being any other than pragmatic. If I need to, I’ll find something new to replace those lost to PD. All the best you lot.

Hello,

My Parkinsons started when my handwriting got very small - I thought it was due to using computers in my work. Then slight stumbles walking around at work

My Parkinsons day was Tuesday 24/3/2020 when I sat down for work at 9am and could not move my left hand. As I have been able to touch-type all my adult life - I went cold. I knew my normal life was over.

I contact my GP immediately ( this was 1st week of COVID), who sorted a phone appt with a Neurologist the next day. The neurologist listened to the above and called me for a f2f appt next day.

The next day I went in for 10am. Took him 10 mins to give me my diagnosis - he seemed pleased. As I was 52 it was straightforward. He is still my neurologist now and a bloody good one.

Nearly five years on, I can still drive, work and take holidays. I cannot stand other people ,without this condition, telling me to be positive. If I feel the conversation is going that way I make my excuses - FAST !

I hate what parkinsons has done to me but I know it is the card that I have been dealt. I perfer to keep on an even keel and try to treat the two imposters disaster and triumph the same way. I regularly enjoy parkruns but also turn the room blue with swearing when I am in my flat and my body refuses to work.

regards

CH

Hi and welcome, @Crazyharry. You’ll find our forum a very friendly and supportive place. Our members will be along to say hi to you, I’m sure.

You have a wonderful attitude and I’m sure it helps you to get through every day, especially the more challenging ones. Your words are inspiring. For those days when you feel you just want to swear, don’t forget our helpline advisers are on 0808 800 0303 to listen and support you.

I’m looking forward to learning more about you,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Exercise is an issue for me as I cannot walk without the use of crutches. Yeah I get out and about as much as I can but there is no substitute for a vast country walk. My old left leg injuries from my motorcycle accident turned into severe osteoarthritis thereby restricting me with pain. This change occurred around 2017 which tied in nicely with my just starting Parkinson’s. LOL I so understand your view on those ailing nothing giving their opinion. Frankly, it’s not wanted but some just cannot help themselves. Society has such a lot to learn when it comes to minorities as in just a few years they could be one of them. Again, very best wishes to you all.