Induced pluripotent stemm cells question (@research team)

http://www.hsci.harvard.edu/newsroom/opening-new-door-parkinsons-disease

I read an article about skin cells of patients with LRKK2 and PINK1 mutation. The article showed that Coenzyme Q10 was beneficial for both types of mutations byt rapamicyn not. But there are many other mutations to that lead to parkinson. It would be interesting to know which other neuroprotectants are beneficial for those type of mutations and which ones not. Does the research team have any more knowledge about this ?
Hi Mister X,
I've passed your question on to the Research team and asked them to get back to you.

Thanks,
Ezinda
Hi MisterX

Thank you for your question - it's a very good one. I think the answer is yes, it's very likely that different drugs will be more or less effective for people with different genetic forms of Parkinson's.

This is already the case with current Parkinson's treatments, most people respond differently to the different drugs and also to surgical treatments like deep brain stimulation.

This is what makes doing clinical trials of new treatments for Parkinson's difficult - not all people respond the same way to the same treatment, some will experience significant benefits while others may experience significant side effects.

'Personalised medicine' is a buzzword across medical science at the moment, and this is certainly the way we are moving. Being able to classify Parkinson's much better, either by genetic forms or by some other method, should help us choose the right treatments for the right people every time.

We are some way off this yet though and there's still a lot of research to do. We don't have a reliable way to segment people with Parkinson's into different categories - we know about some genetic factors but there are probably still more to find. And so it's going to be a while before we can confidently say a particular treatment will work for a particular group.

We are working on it though and many of current research projects are focused on helping us learn more about the different 'forms' of Parkinson's, how they progress and they respond to different treatments - our groundbreaking 'Tracking Parkinson's' study is a prime example.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Best wishes

Claire
Research Communications Manager
Thanks !
They also did it for Alzheimer:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130221141301.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine%2Fstem_cells+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Health+%26+Medicine+News+--+Stem+Cells%29

It shows some compouns work for a specific subset of AD, but not for others. That's why this is important.