Infection again now decided to risk feed

My mum was due to have a rig inserted over a month ago now , 4 cancellations later and she’s still laying there with an NG tube in her after 9 weeks… she has got a bad infection currently in her lung and it’s touch and go. We were advised today the rig may not be the best idea and would cause more trauma. So we have decided to risk feed , my mum is desperate to eat and have a cup of tea , she was able to swallow before but would choke occasionally and I’m just hoping she can still swallow and enjoy while she can. Has anyone else had to make this decision for their loved one? We were told she’d get repeated infections so this seemed the kindest thing. I’m really scared for her she doesn’t realise how bad it is :cry::cry:

Hi Dee,

Very sorry to hear about your mum’s condition. It sounds like a very difficult time for you both. Please remember that our Helpline is always available for you, and they’re able to advise on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients and their families. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team