Introduction

Hello, everyone! Having read some of the entries in the Forum, I decided I'd like to become a participant. My PD was diagnosed in 2002, one month prior to my son's wedding. In retrospect, I can see that my symptoms actually began around mid-1998, but I did not recognize them at the time and sought no medical advice. When I noticed that my coordination at the piano was imperfect and that my hands moved unevenly when I was washing them, I consulted two neurologists.

The first told me flatly that I'd be in a wheelchair within ten years. The second offered me a prescription for Sinemet at that first appointment. Luckily, I declined and sought help elsewhere, a PD clinic at which I began receiving expert care. Meanwhile, I shared my diagnosis only with my husband, my mother, and my sister until after the wedding and all its festivities.

So I have had PD approximately 15 years. However, when I meet new people, they are always surprised to hear that I have the disease; for my symptoms are not marked. Any of you would recognize them, though: the curved position of my hands at rest, some difficulty with cutlery, slow movement in some activities. But I am far from that promised wheelchair yet.

I credit my condition to four factors: (1)frequent exercise in the form of hikes, gym workouts, and Tai Chi classes; (2)medications administered gradually over the years in minimum doses; (3)a positive attitude; and (4)just good luck in having a case of PD that moves slowly.

Recently I heard about the use of fasting to alleviate symptoms, and that is what led me to the Forum for more information. I look forward to learning from those of you who have more experience than I.

Hi
nice to meet you, always encouraging to see someone doing well after so long.
cheers

Hi J

Nice to have you with us on the forum. I know that you will enjoy meeting a great crowd of people with a wide and varied experience of the dreaded pd. Hope that you will enjoy life on the forum.
Chunky

Thank you for your greetings, turnip and chunky. I know you're right: already I am meeting people and learning from them.
And kudos to the website designer. It's so well-organized and easy to navigate. J