Introduction

Dear new friends,

My name is Lex and I live in New Jersey. I am 66. My wife Wanda and I met in high school and recently celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary. We have four adult children, one grandson and another on the way. We also have a six year old miniature beagle named Kate. I am a Catholic deacon, ordained in 1992 for the Archdiocese of Newark, NJ. On staff as a pastoral minister at our local parish, i also serve as a volunteer chaplain in psychiatric units at two local hospitals. My profession was Information Techology and I retired two years ago as chief information officer for a large medical center. Wanda and I also practiced and taught martial arts (TaeKwonDo and practical self-defense) for over 30 years.

I am happy to have found this wonderful forum and look forward to getting to know many of you..

Peace to you and your loved ones now and always,

Lex.

Hello Lex and a warm welcome to the forum,
There are lots of different people here with experience of pretty much everything that Parkinson's can throw at us.
I hope you find the forum as helpful and supportive as I have done.

Are you going to the World Parkinson Congress? It takes place 1-4 October 2013 in Montreal.

Elegant Fowl

Thank you for your welcoming response. I will not be able to attend the conference. Still processing this diagnosis. Symptoms - hand tremor -,just became apparent to me a month ago. Glad I discovered this Forum. I'm sure it will be most helpful.

Peace . . .

what an interesting combination of activities.
hope you find what you need.
t

Hi Lex and welcome from another newbie. I'm in Cornwall and I'm a full time carer to my daughter who has a learning disibility. My son is working for the Mary Rose trust in Portsmouth dockyard.
tony in Cornwall

Hi Tony,

Thanks for welcoming me.

Peace to you and your daughter,

Lex.

Hello & Welcome,

I am 52 diagnosed April 2012. Work full time in health care in NE Scotland.

I wish you all the best.

Helen

Thank you, Helen.

Peace, Lex

Another welcome to you, Deacon Lex, this one from the other coast! I live in a suburb of Portland, OR. Although I'm close to you in age (67), I have had PD for 16 years now. I've been fortunate in having a very slow-moving case, though. My symptoms, thanks to medications and lots of exercise, are still quite subtle. Widowed just last year, I am readjusting to living alone and keeping busy with friends.

Best wishes to you!

Dear J,

Thank you for your welcome and sharing. I'm sorry for the loss of your wife.

Peace,

Lex.

P.S. my apology, J. I meant to offer my sympathies for the loss of your Husband.

Lex

Hi Lex. Welcome to the forum. I'm the same age as you (66), so that's something we have in common besides PD. I've had this wretched disease for nearly 5 years now but I try not to let it get me down. The important thing is to try and maintain a positive, optimistic attitude but this is by no means easy. However, there are plenty of people on this forum with a great sense of humour (or should that be humor?) and always ready to share a joke. Try Social Club if you are in need of cheering up. Overseas members are always welcome, especially from the good old U.S.of A. Keep posting.

Chris :smile:

Thanks for the warm welcome, Chris.

Lex.