introduction

Hi All,
Just joined the Forum and wanted to introduce myself.
I’m 78 ‘knocking on 79’ (is there still 12 months in a year ?? ).
I was diagnosed with PD about 5 years ago, but like many others, I was ‘in denial’ for at least 5 years before that.
My main problems are left hand & arm shaking, dragging left foot and general ‘slowness’
I’m lucky in that my Consultant Neurologist and PD Nurse are both brilliant.
Recently, I’ve been having trouble getting to sleep, so have been swatting-up on CBD Oil, and noticed the forum member’s opinions … very informative, thank you.
I have always been a practical person (Maintenance Engineer) and was told the best thing for PD was to keep my mind and body active, so I now drive my Wife MAD by designing and making THINGS. We have been married for 58years so she almost seems part of the family (smile).
Motto ‘Look on the bright side of life’ you ain’t going to get out of it alive.
Anyway, enough of my ‘waffle’. look after yourselves, brin45

Hi Brin45,
We just wanted to take a moment to welcome you to the community forum. You’re sure to hear from members soon, but in the meantime we wanted to be sure you were aware of the services we provide, namely our website (Parkinsons.org.uk) and our helpline, on 0808 800 0303. The website has loads of helpful information, including this bit on sleep issues: 10 tips to help you sleep well with Parkinson's | Parkinson's UK. And our helpline is staffed with brilliant advisers who can assist with everything from paperwork to finding group activities in your area.
We hope you’ll have a look at these tools as you settle into our lovely community.
Best wishes and our warmest welcome,
Jason
Forum Moderator

Thank you for the welcome Jason,
Just trying to work my way round, navigating the many different topics on this excellent forum. brin45

Hi Brin45,
Welcome.

Firstly I love your comment
“We have been married for 58years so she almost seems part of the family (smile).”
You have a great sense of humour.
Regarding CBD, in South Africa it is legal so you can just walk down to the store to pick up some gums, biscuits etc.
This is one of the very few things our government has got correct.
Basically as a result of one of the MP’s who had cancer fighting tooth and nail to get the law changed.
And yea, I do every now and again have a gum, or crunchie, to help me sleep.
By the way I make the very best crunchies. Not with the oil but with the cannabis itself.
That was just me bragging.
I find that exercise definitely helps, so go to gym or cycle 4-5 times a week.
And I also have the problem with a “lazy leg”.

Hi All
It has now been just over 18 months since I was diagnosed with PD, I have to say after seeing doc a couple of weeks ago and he said he had had a letter from the PD nurse who I saw month before That they are now keeping and eye on me as suspect dementia, PD came as a shock now this, so how can I deal with this, well keeping active keeping the mind occupied and I am now stating to run as I am going to take part in the towns 10k run in May, this seem to work for me, it is hard but this thing is not going to beat me yet, so keep up the exercise as long as you can
good luck

Hi CliveV,
Thanks for the welcome and yes having a sense of humour definitely helps.
Your crunchies sound great.
I don’t go to the gym as I hate showing the youngsters up (there I go again :grinning:)
Keep well.

Hi Peterb1951,
I’ve just joined the forum myself, so welcome.
Your statement “This thing is not going to beat me” is absolutely the right attitude (I’m a great believer in ‘mind over matter’).
If your username is a clue, a ten mile run with PB sounds brilliant, the best of luck.

I agree, they get really upset knowing that they are being shown up by Hhhmmm, how shall I put this delicately… an old fart like me. :sunglasses: